You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Add Flatten to right-click menu

I don't think Document Flatten is something a lot of people do with APhoto files, so it would be a waste of precious space on a right-click menu IMO

But you can just assign a shortcut if you do this a lot

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Just now, carl123 said:

I don't think Document Flatten is something a lot of people do with APhoto files, so it would be a waste of precious space on a right-click menu IMO

Really? In a layer based editor? I perform the flatten task about 2-3 times per photo, in my particular workflow and did the same thing in Photoshop. 

Photoshop's layer's panel of course has the function https://www.oreilly.com/library/view/how-do-i/9781457189630/Images/f0131-01.jpg

On 7/5/2020 at 7:24 AM, carl123 said:

Serious image makers need Flatten. That is why Flatten is a right-click item in Photoshop.

Having to fuss with assigning shortcuts for functions which should already be present is not the solution that dedicated users need.

+1

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

If there are only 2-3 layers it is sufficient to select the one on top and use Merge Down.

When dealing with a larger number I agree that Flatten would not be unreasonable to add to the layers panel, particularly as we already have Merge Visible there (which does almost the same thing), but I do question either one of those being in the context menu of the layers themselves as logically it doesn't make sense.  The context menu of something should generally have commands that operate specifically on that something.  Merge Down works as it merges the indicated layer into the one beneath it, but Merge Visible and Flatten both operate on ALL layers, making the specific layer indicated meaningless.

I really think it would be more appropriate to move both of these into buttons along the bottom of the layers panel rather than have them in the context menu of the individual layers.

Merge Selected would be a better addition to the context menu when a selection of multiple layers has been made.

On 7/4/2020 at 9:38 PM, photoshop1.0 said:

When right clicking in the Layers Palette, there is no Flatten command available.

So, we currently have to mouse up to the Document menu, and choose "Flatten". This is quite the waste of valuable production time.

Please, let's get Flatten happening as a right-click. We have deadlines to meet.

How to design a the layer part of that right click menu:

image.png.4b0040aa10b4b4205a21431399504a0c.png

How not to design it:

image.png.361a5eb74d26794a97ce7e8afd5a971b.png

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.