You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Creating Shapes and Non-Jagged Text

Hi creatorsite,

Affinity Designer is for vector drawing/text & Affinity Photo is for raster image manipulation.

Having said that, Affinity Designer is a hybrid app with pixel based features as well.

Affinity Photo also works seamlessly with Affinity Designer, in that the vector components are retained sharp & can keep their sharpness when scaled.

The thing that determines the jaggedness or otherwise is what resolution at print size you choose for any file export (preferably between 150 - 300 dpi).

I have both Designer & Photo, which I highly recommend you to purchase.

Paul.

Thanks for showing the shape tools. Nice, but was hoping for music notes and symbols. 

I would attach a screenshot of PS shapes, but don't see attachment link. You probably know what that looks like anyway.

For the music tutorials I'm creating it would be laborious and painful creating the variety of notes and musical symbols, but PS makes it really easy.

Would a font aimed at musical notation work for you? I haven't worked with any but in doing a search, I see plenty available.

https://www.google.com/webhp?q=music%20fonts#newwindow=1&q=music+fonts

In regards to your original question, Affinity Photo is closest to PhotoShop. Affinity Designer is closer to Illustrator but with considerable ability to manipulate bitmaps, too. You might start with Designer and only get Photo if it turns out you need the additional features.

Both AD and AP could work with a design using a musical font.

Hey FlintHillsSky,

Thanks for the reminder about music fonts. There's also a secret way to get the Mac OS to generate symbols that include music symbols. 

My big issue now after testing AD for a day is the text gets jagged when a logo is used in a video, but not noticeable until the video is viewed in full screen. I feel like I've lost my design knowledge about resolution. Maybe I have?

Last time I looked, one should be able to create a 300 PPI document in RGB and with the originating size 2560 x 1440, when saved as a .PNG, or saved as a smaller size the resolution should not get worse, right?

Thanks again for your advice, thoughts and help.

So long as you're not exporting at a lower resolution, PNG should be fine.

I do recall some people reporting a bug with PNG export. I'm not sure if that has been resolved, or if it's even the issue you're having. For science, you might try exporting to a different format at the same resolution.

• Staff

Hi creatorsite,

You have to export the logo with the pixel size you want it to appear on your video. 

So in a video with 1280x720px if you use a logo with 320px (width) it will occupy 1/4 of the screen horizontally.

That's still probably a little too much for a logo (although this depends on the logo too - some are more legible than others at lower sizes).

After you define the width you want - in other words its proportion in relation to the whole video frame - just export at that pixel size.

Also, do not downsample the video as in your example otherwise you will lose quality/definition.