You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Vector mask not masking layer effects (Fx)

I have drawn a round shape.
Then in effects, gave a gaussian blur of 0.8px.
Then outer shadow of 38 pixels, 15 px offset, angle 315 deg.
Then a simple rectangle vector mask with 100% white inside rectangle.

Similar to AP, I was expecting what is outside the mask boundary to be masked fully. (Should not be visible).
In the screen shot below, it is noted that the greenish blur and grey shadow is crossing out of the rectangle.

It appears that the "Effects" items are not masked.(All the listings of the effects tab).

Is this the way it is supposed to be , I would like to know.
I am completely new to vector based software and only 2 weeks into self learning Designer.

image.thumb.png.11269b8fdb7e217af883c3a29694deb4.png

image.png.f78fc2f0c39feda5640ec1fe51354dc4.png

A simpler way is to just nest the ellipse in the rectangle like so...
1058205017_ScreenShot2020-07-04at19_16_52.png.398cea0561fd04ca7978df802f1c58f2.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Hello @unni,

Drag the rectangle over the round shape, switch to Pixel Persona, select the rectangle and then rasterise to Mask.

Now everything outside the mask is hidden, (not visible)

Cheers

Mask.png

Affinity Photo 2.4:         Affinity Photo 1.10.6: 

Affinity Designer 2.4:    Affinity Designer 1.10.6:

Affinity Publisher 2.4:   Affinity Publisher 1.10.6:    

Windows 11 Pro  (Version 23H2 Build (22631.3296)

@firstdefence@Gnobelix

Thank you for the guidance.
I tried both the methods. Depending upon what all layers come below  one of the two method has to be selected.
I noted that whenever pixel persona in AD or switching to AP from AD to do pixel edit is used, the shape
(text also)gets pixelated on the edges. This creates bleeding when used as mask or something else as there is a gradual
transition in the edge which is the nature to pixel layer. So I am forcing myself to stay in vector mode as much as possible and
switch to pixel only when all options fail. This way it also helps to explore various vector tools and methods.

Presently, I am trying to make a wooden barrel and this issue came up while making shades on the metal band that wraps
the barrel. I wanted to restrict the blurred shade from spilling over. After it is complete, I shall put it on the forum but will take
a while. During the youtube search, I saw people drawing a barrel with pixel method and vector method, both looked good.

Best regards,
unni