You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

PSD converted to vector graphic

• Staff

Hi Basset,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

If you import a PSD with shape layers (vector objects from Photoshop) those will be kept in Affinity.

If you are asking if it's possible to convert a raster image into vectors automatically (tracing), this is currently not possible in Affinity Designer.

This is a common request that we are considering but it still may take a while if we decide to move forward since it's not a trivial feature.

Yes, I saw those posts about auto trace. What I'm wondering is if it is possible to trace the raster image by hand to convert it to a vector graphic.

Another related question: I imported the image into Photoshop Elements from a pdf file to erase the white background. If I import the pdf image into Affinity Designer is there a way to erase the white background and maintain the vector image which I understand is the format that the pdf image is in?

I'm sorry if my questions are very basic. My experience with computers goes back to mainframes and later Apple II, Commodore 64 and TRS 80, but how to create and use vector images is something very new to me. Yes, I'm an old guy trying to learn something new.

Thank you.

• Staff

Hi Basset,

No problem. We all have to start somewhere  ;)

Regarding your questions, you can trace the image manually in Affinity Designer and Photo and also remove the white background from the PDF (assuming it's not an embedded image, even so it's also possible to remove the white background from images).