You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Lots of crashes 1.8.3

It seems that things are really not very happy. So many crashes. VERY slow to save. Huge pauses when duplicating a spread. Images are linked rather than embedded so the file size is not crazy big.

It's driving me a bit crazy. Anyone have any tips of things I could try to get it working well?

@MEB 

Network drives can cause problems, like latencies and interruptions. There are many things that can go wrong, in need of admin attention. And if you are not running on a 10GBit-Network, they are   s--l--o--w   as well, when working on projects that can easily go into several GB of storage space.

Any chance to put the files on a local (external) SSD as long as you are working on it ?

Do you use embedded or linked resources (pictures etc.) ?

I've never had a problem until recently. The file is not massive although if all the linked files were embedded then it would be huge. File is 68MB.

But I'm getting 100% CPU use for extended periods when duplicating or deleting pages. This is crazy. Saving takes about a minute. My network is not that slow.

Have you tried to run it off an SSD yet ?

Concerning the Network, I am not talking about speed, but about latency and package loss. Trying from a local SSD would create a comparison. If it still crashes, the network is probably not the issue. If it runs, you know where to dig deeper.

• Staff

Hi both,

We've always advised to work LOCALLY and only use network drives for backup. 

On 7/3/2020 at 5:54 PM, robinp said:

I'm having a lot of crashes when saving files to a network drive. It results in corrupted files. Needless to say, this is a really big problem.

Can you attach a screen recording of your workflow, and a few corrupt samples ? 

9 hours ago, Gabe said:

We've always advised to work LOCALLY and only use network drives for backup. 

Well that’s:

a) pathetic

and

b) really unhelpful 

Our workflow requires it. So you’d better make sure this is something that does work. Working on files across a network is not a new thing. Does Serif consider the suite to be suitable for professional use? If the answer is yes, then working on files across a network is about the first feature on the list. 

Sorry for the tone, I am just completely stunned that this might actually be a legitimate and genuine approach. Someone needs to get a grip, because it is laughable. 

Anyway, it’s been fine working across a network since even the earliest public betas. Since linked files have worked properly it improved greatly. 

I can’t really share a work flow. Unless you want me to show you a video of me clicking save from the file menu.

As for file samples, as you can imagine, I rescued from a back up and got rid of the corrupted ones. Next time it happens, I’ll be sure to keep them. 

• Staff
13 hours ago, robinp said:

I can’t really share a work flow. Unless you want me to show you a video of me clicking save from the file menu.

Sorry, I thought this is something you can consistently replicate. Let us know when you have a corrupt file and we can have a look.