You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to Bend a Straight object at its center in affinity designer 1.8

13 hours ago, Wosven said:

@chillywilly

Since @Hens already showed the tools needed, here a speed test to create the earlier images.

With more structure and planned design, you can perhaps achieve what you need.

For one of the design, I would use another app, it would probably be faster...

2021-11-05_082759.png.7d4151601fa0ad9c13c2ed766e51bdf4.png

ondulations.afdesign

Other app:

2021-11-05_084328.png.68724b976dc6ca4b8afa097de29a5678.png

about_0.92-1_ZX0zrNN.svg 838.67 kB · 0 downloads

Wow, thank you @Wosven! I take it that you used the same techniques as Hen? The techniques Hen showed are really nice for emulating perspective changes with groups of lines, but they don't adjust vector groups with perspective calculations. You are showing a perspective shift in the purple line art. I'd love to hear how you accomplished that in Designer.

@LondonSquirrel@R C-R i didn't mean it literally that Designer had not been updated at all since 2015... but the list of updates you both referenced are small additions added over many years. Maybe impressive if done in a year or two, not 10. I can appreciate Affinity wanting to build things well from the ground up, but they neglected the most commonly needed tools for things that while visionary, did not "put food on the table".  It's hard to enjoy the revolutionary shared file method, and account setup when I still can't warp text, use a vector eraser, create 100% vector brushes, have boolean operations that don't crash the app and create dirty geometry, etc. I'm sure in another year or two when 2.0 is released, our disagreements now will be meaningless because 2.0 will finally have the common tools we all expected in version 1.0.

9 hours ago, Wosven said:

Yes, like Hens, I duplicated a donut, converted it to curves, and used the tools to distort it. After this, duplicating again to add shadow and light.

Thank you @Wosven. Your effect turned out decently, and you and @Hens have shown me that in a pinch there's a lot I can do with these techniques. There's clearly a gap in functionality because true perspective shifts and warp effects offer a level of precision that look more "real." At least now I understand what Designer has to offer in the current state.

3 hours ago, chillywilly said:

Cool idea. In this case I was designing a logo, so I needed it to be vector.

I agree 100% with everything Boldlinedesign has added to this discussion, and it appears we probably have a very similar workflow, for me Vectorstyler has enabled me to crack on and just get stuff done without even having to think about it, I just put all work together in Pub (StudioLink) and copy paste back and fourth between Pub and VS rather than coming up against a wall with what can be achieved in Affinity or moving over to Illustrator CS5 just for a bit of warping

So totally recommend adding VectorStyler to your workflow as we may be waiting another few years for a trickle of missing basic functions in Designer

Also see vid grab below to get an idea of the vector power of VectorStyler as a companion app to Affinity on a working job 

232070753_ScreenGrab2021-11-06at13_08_51.png.277daecad385b0b3140719b238b36f0c.png

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

Anyone interested in VectorStyler See the link below

1 hour ago, SureWeb said:

I have been following this thread and also interested in using VectorStyler alongside AD. Today I found a 69% off promo deal and thought I would share incase anyone else was interested. I contact the folks at VectorStyler before I purchased and they confirmed the deal was legit.

deals.bluetailcoupon.net/sales/vectorstyler-professional-illustration-software

Hope it's ok to share. I have no affiliation whatsoever.

A few Affinity users have purchased VS via the coupon site and it looks all above board, everyone who needs a pure vector workflow needs to grab VectorStyler now 

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

1 hour ago, Dazmondo77 said:

A few Affinity users have purchased VS via the coupon site and it looks all above board, everyone who needs a pure vector workflow needs to grab VectorStyler now 

As I mentioned in that topic, I could not complete the purchase using Apple Pay (or using my credit cards) because it kept telling me I had to enter my first & last name, so for the moment I can't take advantage of that offer. Bummer!

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7