You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer crashes when placing Affinity Photo document (1.8.3)

Hi guys,

I've just encountered a really annoying bug in Affinity Designer. When placing Affinity Photo documents (or trying to), Designer quits unexpectedly without any error warning. Placing flat graphics (i.e. PNGs) works fine but I really want to place the source Photo document so that I can toggle the layers. Now I have to export everything to PNG first, which is costing me a lot of time. Please can you fix this? This function was working perfectly fine in 1.8.2.

I'm running macOS Mojave (10.14.6 (18G5033)) on my iMac.

ad-screen-capture.gif

AboutAffinity.png

AboutMac.png

Edited by Anthony Browne
Forgot to obsure my personal information from the screenshot

• Staff

Hi Anthony Browne,

Would you be able to attach some of the documents that are causing the crash when you try to place them please? I've tried it with an afphoto file my end and I'm not getting the crash so it could be file specific. If you could also attach the afdesign document you pasting them into would also be good to ensure nearly all conditions are the same!

In the meantime you could use the Batch functionality of Affinity Photo (providing you do have it) to do a batch export of all your afphoto files to PNG. :) 

• Staff

Thanks for the files - I've reproduced the crash. There is something very strange about the afphoto file - It is currently not giving me any ability to modify the actual page/canvas size, and it seems to be treating it as a spread as if it was created in Affinity Publisher.

Do you have any idea on the origin of its creation? Had you created it in Publisher and then resaved it in Photo etc?

• Staff
9 minutes ago, Anthony Browne said:

That's very strange. The original file was created in Photo, but late last year when it was 1.8.2. This week, I copied that file to use a basis for the file that I'm currently working with, so no, I've not used Publisher.

Ahhh thats unfortunate, thanks for getting back to us! I imagine the other files created from that base are also responding the same? You may have to use the Batch workaround I mentioned to create transparent PNGs to place in the meantime. I've passed it on to development to investigate, however.