You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Blurry picture once imported

Hello,

I'd like to report a bug that occurs when importing a picture into Affinity Photo : the imported picture (creating a new layer) looks blurry. This happens because it surely is in subpixel coordinates.
To fix this though, I have to align the layer to any horizontal and vertical sides, then I can finally move it freely - it'll remain aligned with the canvas pixels.
However the best would be to avoid subpixel alignment, or to have an option for disabling it.

Thank you in advance for your help !

12 hours ago, Chris B said:

You can force pixel alignment and move by whole pixels on the top toolbar:
image.png

I already have all those options activated.

Though, deactivating "move by whole pixels" allows me to realign to the pixel grid once I drag it. But the issue still occurs while dropping a picture in the document.

I am placing one by drag and drop from the explorer to Affinity Photo. And it's from a PNG file.

On the sample given, the viewport is 400% zoomed. The left picture is aligned with the pixels (after dragging it with the selection tool to fix the issue), the right picture has just been dropped without dragging it again.

affphoto-issue-blurryimport.png

• Staff

Hey totjoss,

I created myself a 50 x 50 px doc and made a little pixel drawings, exported it as a PNG without its background, placed it back into the same project and you're right, if you are unlucky, it can place across a half-pixel on the X or Y axis and it will get stuck there. Edit - it actually seems to be just the Y axis...

The issue seems less common if I just use 'Force pixel alignment' and disable 'Move by whole pixels'.

I'll raise this with dev. Thanks for your time :) 

11 minutes ago, Chris B said:

The issue seems less common if I just use 'Force pixel alignment' and disable 'Move by whole pixels'.

It’s clear from previous discussions that I’m not the only user who fails to understand why ‘Move by whole pixels’ takes precedence over the ‘Force pixel alignment’ setting. The former is nested under the latter in Preferences, but it seems to me that the two options are mutually exclusive (apart from the trivial case where an object is already aligned to a pixel boundary, so moving it by a whole number of pixels will ‘force’ that alignment).

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff

Edited

I believe the solution to this issue is to disable the snapping option as the objects are likely snapping to the mid-point of the canvas. If I turn snapping off, I cannot reproduce this. 

Alfred, I just re-read what you put and I see your point. 

• 1 year later...