You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Brush settings not restored after switching from eraser

Hello !

I'd like to report a bug that happens when switching tools between the paint brush and the eraser. After doing so, the brush doesn't look as previously selected - like... blurrish.
I think it occurs because all the brush settings doesn't seem to be restored. I also mention that the brush isn't selected (blue highlight) anymore as well.
To restore the correct brush settings, I have to select it again each time I switch tool - which is pretty annoying.

I've attached to this message a sample of the brushes being different before using the eraser, and after. I should also precise that I didn't use any graphic tablet, I did it using the mouse.

Thank you in advance for your help, I hope this bug will get fixed because I personally think it ruins the drawing experience.

affphoto-issue-beforeaftereraser.png

• Staff

Hey totjoss,

Are you using shortcuts to switch between the brushes?

If so, make sure you aren't accidentally using the Colour Replacement Brush Tool which is on the same shortcut (B).

However saying that, I cannot reproduce the issue. If I pick a pre-defined brush, paint on the canvas, shortcut to the Eraser (E) and then back to the Paint Brush Tool (B) it paints the same.

Which brush are you using? 

The highlight going is a Windows bug. I'm sure it is logged but if it isn't, I will log it for you.  This was logged so I've added your post to the report—thanks! 

First, switch off Brush Tool Sharing in the Assistant Manager. 

It produces strange & unexpected results if you don't realise it's on.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Are 'Wet Edges' being turned off in the Paint Brush Tool context toolbar when you switch between the Paint Brush Tool and the Erase Brush Tool?  

If this is the case, it's a bug.  I previously reported it in the link below (the second video in the linked thread), but the only change I've seen so far is for the first video in that linked thread – where if you now open a new document and the current brush has Wet Edges set to on, Affinity Photo incorrectly turns Wet Edges off (the brush should still have Wet Edges on as it's still the currently selected brush).

Link:
https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/91303-paint-brush-tool-wet-edges-turning-onoff-by-itself-after-using-erase-brush-tool/

@Chris B

Try to reproduce it using a pre-defined brush that has wet edges set to on – such as the [Dry Media > Square Charcoal] brush for example.  In the below videos, Affinity Photo is running in a Sandbox, meaning it's a totally clean installation of 1.8.3.641.

Video showing 'Wet Edges' being turned off when switching between Paint Brush Tool and Erase Brush Tool:

Video showing 'Wet Edges' being turned off when opening a new document, even though the brush with 'Wet Edges' is still selected:

1 hour ago, totjoss said:

Oh okay, I didn't realize it was just the Wet Edges option that caused the issue. Thanks to @carl123 and @- S - to point those out. I've disabled the whole Assistant, and now it seems to be fixed !

Thank you very much !

For now, however the issue may return.  As per my original bug report:

After manually toggling the 'Wet Edges' setting in the context tool bar, the problem disappears for a while, only to return later. 

I think the issue is caused due to a discrepancy between the 'Wet Edges' setting in the brush context tool bar and the 'Wet Edges' setting in the brush settings.