You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi 10kSHADES,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Great work. Her eye and the metallic parts of the skate are impressive. Great shading there.

Maybe the scale of the skate is a little big in relation to her face but that's something easily adjustable.

Thanks for sharing  ;)

Thank you very much for your reply and your advise! Definitely looking forward to improve every day :)

Great shading - the metal looks fantastic. The lips and eyes look great as well.

As a huge compliment I can say that when I saw the thumbnail (before clicking to expand it) I thought this was a photo!

My first, and instant, reaction to just the thumbnail was, "odd composition, she must be holding that skateboard at arms length in front of her (to account for the scale)". But, still, I was thinking it was a photo. Only after expanding it did I see that it wasn't.

Great work! Thank you for posting it here.

So very skilfully done indeed that I may need to pick your brain regarding how you got the metal to look so realistic - when I get a bit farther along in my current project/learning experience.

Love it, well done 

Thanks mate!

Great shading - the metal looks fantastic. The lips and eyes look great as well.

As a huge compliment I can say that when I saw the thumbnail (before clicking to expand it) I thought this was a photo!

My first, and instant, reaction to just the thumbnail was, "odd composition, she must be holding that skateboard at arms length in front of here (to account for the scale)". But, still, I was thinking it was a photo. Only after expanding it did I see that it wasn't.

Great work! Thank you for posting it here.

So very skilfully done indeed that I may need to pick your brain regarding how you got the metal to look so realistic - when I get a bit farther along in my current project/learning experience.

Wow, thanks for the multiple compliments! I appreciate that a lot, it's a morale booster haha :D So I'll try to explain how I got the metal effect: just add some background layers for darker shades (gradients of 2 or 3 different grays look great) and then add brighter (white, light gray) shapes for the shiny effect. The trick is to add a gaussian blur effect on the latter, so the colors display in a smooth, realistic metal effect. So basically it was made using the following tools: pen, gradient, transparency (to make it even smoother) and layer fx, nothing else. 

I know it seems a bit confusing but after all it isn't, it's just a matter of patience and getting the right gradients/shades in the right place.