You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Exporting dimensions wrong

Hey there, 

I got an issue with designer when exporting some art boards. They tent to not have the same pixel amount as my art board. I have added a screenshot to show what I mean. 

This really bothers me and It would be great if you could fix this :)

Thank you,

Nushara

Designer_6eTTvG0dcr.png

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

This is not a bug. If you look at the Transform panel in your second screenshot, you'll see that the Y coordinate is not an integer number of pixels (891,6). If you move that artboard so the X and Y coordinates are both integers, you should get the export size you want.

(It might also help to go to Preferences, User Interface, and increase the number of decimal places displayed for Pixel measurements. I would suggest 3 or more to make it more likely you'll be able to see rounded values that are not quite integers.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

4 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

This is not a bug. If you look at the Transform panel in your second screenshot, you'll see that the Y coordinate is not an integer number of pixels (891,6). If you move that artboard so the X and Y coordinates are both integers, you should get the export size you want.

(It might also help to go to Preferences, User Interface, and increase the number of decimal places displayed for Pixel measurements. I would suggest 3 or more to make it more likely you'll be able to see rounded values that are not quite integers.)

Hey Walt,

thank you for getting back to me. I have made some changes to the preferences and also updated the placements but it is still not working as intended (at least to me). I have added another screenshot that shows all values.

Do you have another idea how this can be fixed?

Thank you,

Nushara

Designer_HTTQbOisc9.png

• Staff

Hi Nushara,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Can you attach the file shown in your screenshot above (you can leave just one problematic artboard  - DONATOR 1 for example if it's failing to export with the correct dimensions - and delete the rest if you want  for us to check what's going wrong.

8 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi Nushara,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Can you attach the file shown in your screenshot above (you can leave just one problematic artboard  - DONATOR 1 for example if it's failing to export with the correct dimensions - and delete the rest if you want  for us to check what's going wrong.

Hey MEB,

I tried to create a copy of the file, deleted all the other art boards but this seems to fix the problem. So it seems like this really is a problem related to the X and Y coordination. After creating another art board and moving it around, I get 152px instead of 151px. I have added you the file.

To me this should never be the case. If you export something with for example 150px width and height, it should always export as such. To me it is very annoying to correct these values up on exporting.

Thank you for your support,

Nushara

border - test.afdesign

• Staff

The "DONATOR 1 ISSUE 152" artboard coordinates (X,Y) are not integer values. Click in the X and Y input fields in the Transform panel and delete the decimal part. Then export again.
 To ensure you get integer values when you move artboards around, enable Force Pixel Alignment in the main toolbar (the first icon in the Snapping group). Also make sure the icon next to it (Move By Whole Pixels) is disabled otherwise artboards already on non-integer values will keep them when you move them since you are forcing the movement to be whole pixels).

Note that enabling Force Pixel Alignment will not fix/correct existing artboards placed on non-integer values. You have to fix them all manually either deleting the decimal parts in the X, Y coordinates in the Transform panel or just by moving the artboard a little with the Move Tool to force it snap to integer values. Let me know if you still have issues.

Just now, MEB said:

The "DONATOR 1 ISSUE 152" artboard coordinates are not integer values.

Is there any setting to move stuff only by integer values? This would at least remove the need to correct them after just moving them by hand. Or something like "if X or Y is not integer use W and H to calculate size. Something around that would be great.

Right now it feels very unintuitive to use it like this, even if it might be correct from a programmatic standpoint. But maybe that's just me.

At least I know now how to fix it. So thank you for your help <3

• Staff

Another detail you need to know regarding duplicating artboards: always use command+drag to duplicate artboards you want pixel aligned. alt+drag also duplicates them but overrides the snapping options so Force Pixel alignment is ignored when you use alt to duplicate them leading to non-integer values.

4 minutes ago, MEB said:

always use command+drag to duplicate artboards you want pixel aligned

I can’t think of a scenario where you might want artboards not to be pixel aligned. Am I missing something? :/

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

23 minutes ago, Alfred said:

I can’t think of a scenario where you might want artboards not to be pixel aligned. Am I missing something? :/

I am questioning too why you would ever wanted to place art boards outside a pixel alignment. Wouldn't it make more sense to just make them moveable only by 1 pixels so you never face this issue at all? 

Think this would be a very welcome change. At least if there is a purpose to keep it the way it is. 

• Staff

Hi Nushara,
As explained above, contrary to other apps where artboards are independent entities, in Affinity they are just a special type of object which can be maipulated in various ways and as such are subject to the same rules are other objects in the layers stack. For example you can use Power Duplicate to create a grid of artboards as you can with regular objects, or convert objects (which may or may be not pixel aligned) to artboards and vice-versa (check menu Layer almost on bottom). This allows some workflows/flexibility you don't have in other apps.