You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Image file names change when copy & paste

1) create new document

2) Make a pretty layout

3) Insert images from Finder with copy & paste (setting: all embedded): Select your image in Finder, use CTRL+C to copy the file and paste it in your document with CTRL+V

My document has roughly 200 images and around 50 of them are renamed to "image.tif", even if the original filename and file type are different (see screenshots: Resource Manager with image.tifs and the selected JPG image's screenshot from Finder). I was not able to find a legitimacy behind this behaviour, but, as said, it happens with roughly a quarter of all images.

Screenshot.jpg

Screenshot 1.jpg

• Staff

I can reproduce this on Mac but not Windows, which may very well be because they write different information to the clipboard when you just copy the image data from whatever you are viewing the image in.

It's intriguing this doesn't happen on all pictures, do you have 2 images that if you copy/paste and get the differing behavior?

If an image is drag and dropped or file > placed it should always have the relevant information, but if there is only image data on the clipboard (like when you copy from a web browser) and you paste that it will just name it Image.tif

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

On 7/1/2020 at 9:17 PM, Jens Krebs said:

3) Insert images from Finder with copy & paste (setting: all embedded): Select your image in Finder, use CTRL+C to copy the file and paste it in your document with CTRL+V

Just curios: do you really prefer copy/paste over drag/drop? It seems with copy/paste only 1 file gets transferred at a time, while drag/drop pastes all selected files at once AND maintains their file names.

I experienced also with drag/drop what gets transferred isn't up to the receiving up (APub) only but also to the delivering app: I have two versions of a DAM app, one of them places the image's metadata text only (keywords etc.) while the other, oddly the older version, pastes the images as expected into Apub.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

1 hour ago, thomaso said:

Just curios: do you really prefer copy/paste over drag/drop?

Depends on the job, but in this case: Yes. For this project I have a three column layout and fixed size images that I simply copy and paste (this way they plop in directly as pinned objects and flow with the text). I am also working with two virtual desktops (Publisher full screen) and as I only need one image at a time copy and paste works best in this case.

When I'm working more creatively and want to arrange a few images and play with them, I drag and drop all of them at once.

In both cases I work with Finder / Explorer rather than a DAM software, so I cannot comment on that part.

On 7/2/2020 at 1:04 PM, Jon P said:

but if there is only image data on the clipboard

Mmmmmh ... I think I know what the issue is ... I had an OS update mid-project, this might have changed how the clipboard images are handled. Maybe there is a way to find out which images where dropped into the layout before/after the update to see if the ,old' or the 'new' OS worked better?

If you have a backup from the day before the update you can compare.
(I doubt that such a fundamental change would happen in an update at all (update ≠ upgrade). I tried copy/paste with ~10 files today but did not get any image into APub with its file name). – This article (tidbits, 2016) tells a bit about the various possibilities and differences for macOS copy/paste support.

What happens if you copy/paste the files which came with names successfully again now? Do the same files come with names? If you want upload some of those which work, I'd like to experience that success, too:)

28 minutes ago, thomaso said:

backup from the day before

Backups are for wimps. *grin*
No, seriously ... the backups are gone, project is done ... creating an image index was the last thing to do and ... well ... it kept me busy for a while as you can imagine.

Sorry, I meant "OS upgrade" ... I have installed the new macOS developer beta.

But I'm not sure which images I imported before and after the upgrade, so I cannot determine if that is actually the issue or if it's something else. As you can see from the page numbers, the wrong image names are all over the place and I normally work my way through this project from front to back ... so, theoretically, if the OS changes were the issue, either the correct or the incorrect images would appear in one block in the first and second half of the file.

What do you mean with "this" ?

To me an image placed by copy-paste from the Finder (or another non-Affinity app) never transfers the file name with the image but always gets a name "Image" in the layers panel.

@thomaso As you said that for you the filename NEVER travels, here's a screenshot of what I normally get (pre Big Sur beta), when I copy and paste images from the Finder (as you can see in the status line, even though it's embedded and copy-pasted images, the original file location ,travels' with it and I could, if I wanted to, switch the images to ,linked'):

Screenshot.thumb.jpg.bf3e255c09acb65bb342a86100168451.jpg

Interesting. I tried embed/link as document preference and used images from my ~/Images folder, inserted jpg, tif and png and in either Finder's list, column and icon view – but I am not able at all to get a file name appear with the image in APub this way.

In what macOS version does copy/paste cause the successful name transfer for you as shown in your screenshot?

7 hours ago, thomaso said:

In what macOS version does copy/paste cause the successful name transfer for you as shown in your screenshot?

10.15 Catalina (previous versions as well, it has worked for me since the first Publisher beta if I remember correctly, respectively I cannot remember it NOT working).

48 minutes ago, Jens Krebs said:

previous versions as well, it has worked for me since the first Publisher beta (...)

That's odd, since I can not make the file name get transferred, and Jon P comments:

On 7/2/2020 at 2:04 PM, Jon P said:

I can reproduce this on Mac (...) If an image is drag and dropped or file > placed it should always have the relevant information, but if there is only image data on the clipboard (like when you copy from a web browser) and you paste that it will just name it Image.tif

@Jon P, can you please clarify whether copy/paste should transfer the file name, or under what circumstances it worked for Jens in various macOS versions? I just tried once more, now without Separated Mode, unsuccessfully.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.