You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi, 

I modified a single letterform (changed to paths) in QuarkXpress 2017.

I exported the letterform (3 inches x 3 inches @ 100%) as an EPS.

I created a new document in Designer.

I selected "place", navigated to the .eps file and clicked "open".

The "place" window turns all white, the beachball starts to spin and Designer hangs, requiring a "force quit" 

Is there a way to get this to work?

My reason for bringing it into Designer was to see if I could use "color overlay" to change the black eps letterform to a color.

thanks,

lettergothic 

Perhaps try File > Open rather than Place?

(Also, perhaps update to the current release, 1.8.3.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Color can be added in QXP...

Using QXP2017, Q2018, Q2019 & Q2020, every export if the letters are converted to curves in Q also cause AD to freeze, including the current AD version.

However, if I export the type not converted to curves in Q (all versions), AD places or opens them as curves.

Other applications open the pre-converted letter forms from Q correctly.

I've attached a sample eps from Q2020 that crashes/freezes AD 1.8

Layout 1_Page 1.eps

Hey MikeW,

Thanks for responding and attaching the link

In QXP, I used Item>Convert Text to Boxes so that I could use Item>Merge/Split Paths>Intersection to clip a portion of my letterform in a circle (to make my logo). To my knowledge, I can't Merge/Split a path w/o first converting a letterform to Boxes. Yes?

I was trying to get the EPS into AfDes to see If I could do a color overlay on the logo. As far as I know, EPS conversions can only be black. Are you saying that if I export a (colored in QXP) file as a EPS, it will retain the color?

I guess that I could start over and build the logo in AfDes . . . if that meant that  RGB and a CMYK versions could be exported as an EPS that retained color. Is that possible?

Thanks,

i'gothic

You're welcome.

Yes as goes your method of text to "boxes" to merge/split etc. I just tried converting type to boxes/curves in Q, eps export, and then tried to bring it in to verify the hang in AD.

I haven't tried color eps files from Q --> AD and don't have Q running right now to test, but it is moot as AD is just gonna crash with it anyway. But yes, color is retained at least going into CD, AI and likely other applications.

Can you can go via the pdf route from Q and open that into AD. That should open fine in AD.