You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

@Janice LeMay

It would be very useful to know exactly which program, and which specific features and what do you mean by "glitches"?

Jeff

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

It is the Affinity Photo program which I bought and downloaded to my computer.  I started off with a free trial.  I'm trying to use masks to change colors to certain things in a picture.  When I was painting it stopped and I could not continue and had to start all over again.  Yesterday, I tried to use a black and white mask and it showed a weird color and the places I painted and not all Black and White.  I think this is a bad program and maybe I need to uninstall it and get another one.  I'm very disappointed!!!!

2 minutes ago, Janice LeMay said:

Yesterday, I tried to use a black and white mask and it showed a weird color and the places I painted and not all Black and White.

When you paint in black or white (or grey!) on a mask layer, you (partially) conceal or reveal content below the mask layer.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Are you on Mac or Windows? Which OS version are you using?

It might be helpful if you could share your *.afphoto file here.

Alfred spacer.png

20 hours ago, Alfred said:

Are you on Mac or Windows? Which OS version are you using?

I have a 64 bit operating system and the computer is only a few years old.  Here is a picture of when I tried to paint the bra black and white and it stopped working. Another one I tried to change the brush size and it wouldn't work.  Another one the paint looks two toned on her tail.  If I can't get another program I will be disputing the charge with my credit company.

mermaid.jpg

1 minute ago, Janice LeMay said:

I have a 64 bit operating system and the computer is only a few years old.  Here is a picture of when I tried to paint the bra black and white and it stopped working. Another one I tried to change the brush size and it wouldn't work.  Another one the paint looks two toned on her tail.  If I can't get another program I will be disputing the charge with my credit company.

mermaid.jpg

BTW, her hair was black and I was able to color it red with no problem until I started to paint the bra.  This happens all the time.

I can now see that you’re on Windows 10, but I’m struggling to understand why you have multiple B&W adjustments and (judging from the thumbnails in the Layers panel as shown in the first picture) multiple copies of the same mask. It really would be easier to offer constructive advice if we could examine your project file.

20 hours ago, Alfred said:

By the way, if you want to post screenshots you might like to make friends with the Snipping Tool instead of pointing a camera at the screen.

Alfred spacer.png

You don't need to add a mask to an Adjustement layer, since it's already like a mask. Painting directly on it should work, and if you want the mask to be black, you can invert it with the shortcut ctrl+i.

It's the same with Fill layer, you can paint with Black and White on it.

5 hours ago, Janice LeMay said:

mermaid.jpg

Pretty intresting that you first run the free trial on Affinity Photo, and after that bought the app (probably because you’ll liked it), but, all of a sudden you wants to do a refund just because you can’t master the app?

Photo manipulating ain’t easy, nor Photoshop or Affinity Photo, but, hey, have some patients here ;-)

Happy amateur that playing around with the Affinity Suite - really love typograhics, photographing, colors & forms, AND, Synthesizers!

Macbook Pro 16” M1 2021, iPad Pro 12.9” M1 2021, iPad Pro 10.5” A10X 2017, iMac 27” 5K/i7 late 2015…