You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can't use the filter in affinity photo

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums, @mailinxx.

How are you trying to select the filter?

You could, for example, while in the Photo Persona:

1. Click the Live Filter icon at the bottom of the Layers panel (just to the right of the fx icon). Or,
  2. Use the Filters menu. Or
  3. Use the Layer menu, then New Live Filter Layer.

And when you say that it won't let you select the filter, can you provide more detail? What part of trying to select the filter fails.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff

Hi mailinxx,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Some filters may appear greyed out  if you are working with a for 32b bit RGB image/document. If that's the case converting the document to RGB 8 or 16 bit will make them available. To do this go to menu Document > Convert Format / ICC Profile and change the Colour Format dropdown to RGB/16 or RGB/8.

• 1 year later...

Where are you trying to use the filters from, (see Walt's post above)?

Are you saying they don't show at all, or that they are greyed out?

Is the problem that you can only select a layer in the layers panel if you switch to the move tool first?

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

9 hours ago, Henry van Megen said:

It only works for me when I select the layer with the move tool; then and ONLY then am I able to use the filters.

You do not have to have the Move Tool active but a layer must be selected (highlighted in the Layers panel) or there will be nothing for the filter to be applied to & all filter options in the Filters menu will be greyed out.

However, even with no layer selected, the Live Filters should work -- they should be applied at the top of the layer stack.

Also, since the filters work on pixel layers, if the layer is not already a "(Pixel)" layer, depending on the "Applying filters to vector layers" setting in the Assistant Manager, either the selected layer will automatically be converted to a "(Pixel)" layer if a regular (not live) filter is applied to it, or  all filter options on the Filters menu will be greyed out if the "Take no action" option is enabled.

Are you seeing any different behavior from that?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7