You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

4 hours ago, anon2 said:

Select the node and then opt-drag it with Pen Tool to drag out a new handle on only the outgoing side of the node. You'll need to reverse the curve direction before opt-dragging if it's the other handle you want.

Interesting!

10 hours ago, anon2 said:

No you don't! I've told you twice already to opt/alt-drag so that only one handle is extended. If it didn't work, I'd not be telling you to do it. I don't know why it fails for you.

Yes, I'm sorry, you're right, of course. I forgot to hold down the option key. I find it a bit weird that the pen tool works in such a totally different way if a node is selected.

I still think it would be more intuitive to have this function devolved to the Node Tool (isn't this exactly the kind of task that the Node Tool is for?), but you've at least shown me how it's possible to do what I need to do.

And between us, I think we've corrected a lot of misapprehensions on the part of others in this thread.

Cheers, Martin

24 minutes ago, haakoo said:

Well,did my example affect both segments or one?

Your example only affected one segment at a time, but Martin’s point is that instead of only affecting the control handle at one end of the chosen segment it affected the handles at both ends.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

2 hours ago, Martin S Taylor said:

I still think it would be more intuitive to have this function devolved to the Node Tool (isn't this exactly the kind of task that the Node Tool is for?),

I agree that Node Tool should be able to do it. The functionality could be in both Node Tool and Pen Tool, and something like ctrl+alt+drag could make the other handle extend instead, so there would be no need to reverse the curve direction.

Edited by anon2

5 hours ago, anon2 said:

something like ctrl+alt+drag

Unfortunately, the Windows version of that would be pretty horrible — more horrible than pretty! — since Ctrl(⌘) on a Mac is currently RMB+LMB on Windows.

Alfred spacer.png

5 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Unfortunately, the Windows version of that would be pretty horrible — more horrible than pretty! — since Ctrl(⌘) on a Mac is currently RMB+LMB on Windows.

Yes, that's why I said "something like". It was just an example of an additional modifier key.

12 minutes ago, anon2 said:

Yes, that's why I said "something like". It was just an example of an additional modifier key.

Understood. I just wanted to highlight how awfully(!) unlike your example the Windows equivalent would be.

Alfred spacer.png