You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Gaussian blur not working properly on edges

The Gaussian Blur (fx) doesn't work properly on edges of the document. Seems like it uses white or other available bg data to calculate the edges of a layer.  This leads to nasty effects on the document edges in practical use. To demosntrate the probelm I use a single black layer, add gaussian blur with the (fx) function and increase the parameter to half and max. I would expect nothing to happen ... but regretfully the edges are screwed.Photo_Mfqs6CxSWY.jpg.ac5558e2edc2a584dc1200ee60b60f8a.jpg

Photo_dKVPpcvnlg.jpg.eaf5c9f8395cee09ce25ca0d73aef19e.jpg

Photo_P1KHjNNxjp.jpg.5efcafa68fe2c162186a56f1f83083be.jpg

In practical use it is impossible to extend gaussian blur to the edges:

Photo_Tg0Fp43Jhr.jpg.dff9dc4d86c91b507902ab40316a1c1a.jpg

Assuming you will declare this bug to be a feature, I'd like to know how to overcome this "Feature" since I need different results. (BTW: Photoshop handles gaussian blur on a smartfilter the correct way ... in your words: they have not implemented this "feature" until today *G*). Just for competitive reasons: I'd love to see a way to disable this feature.

Cheers, Timo

CRM.png.a048d588572393102ac3cc403bfa8af7.png

i7-12700KF, 3.60 GHz, 32GB RAM, SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, Wacom Intuos 4 Tablet, Windows 11 Pro - AP, AD and APublisher V1 and V2
https://www.timobierbaum.com

• Staff

There's cases where you don't want it enabled so you can get the edges of an object feathered for example to create a mask, to simply soft the edges of a picture on a design/layout or even to help with the shading on a illustration (by applying gaussian blur FX to vector objects). There's plenty mores uses but those should give you an idea.

22 minutes ago, DarkClown said:

Thanks for the explanation. May I suggest to have "preserve alpha" enabled as default?

It's highly unlikely to be changed now but people have been asking for "sticky settings" for years now so it may be able to be made sticky in the future

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.