You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photoshop Plugins in Affinity Photo

Hello,

I followed an online tutorial about adding existing Photoshop plugins to Affinity Photo. Going to preferences, I added the PS plugins folder and checked "Allow Unknown Plugins to be Used." Then I restarted Affinity Photo.

However, none of the plugins are showing up in AP.

I'd prefer not to redundantly install the plugins if they can be "shared" by AP.

Thanks for your assistance.

SR

It depends on the plugin. E.g. plugins for enhancing the list of supported file types will not work. Please name a few plugins you want to use in AP.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

@SteveRoberts

I can't speak for your ON1 plugins but I have the Nik 3 collection installed and usable in APh, under Windows, except for Perspective Efex which doesn't work in APh.

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

@SteveRoberts

I see your installed version of PS is CS6.  I have Adobe Audition CS6 and it was 32 bit only.  Was PS CS6 the same?  if so, its plugins must also be 32 bit, but APh requires the 64 bit versions. So, you may need to consider installing the 64 bit version of your plugins.

Jeff

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

When I install a plugin, it installs the .8bf files in a folder within that plugin's folder. It will not install in any PS folder because I do not have any PS software. I then call the Affinity Photo Preferences dialogue box and point it to the folder where it was installed.

Note that most plugins are installed in a separate folder for each file. This is true for the Nik package, and my Topaz plugins all install in separate folders within the installation folder. Note also that typically there will be a separate folder (and a separate .8bf file) for 64-bit and 32-bit plugins. Make sure that you point to the right one.

A few plugins (such as Filter Forge) now recognise Affinity Photo as a host and will automatically install the .8bf file in the default Affinity Photo plugin folder. To locate it, in the Photoshop plugins dialogue box, Click Open Default Folder.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

• Staff

Hi SteveRoberts,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Have you also checked if the plugin files were actually installed there: /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Plug-Ins/CS6

Some plugins install the files directly to: /Applications/Adobe Photoshop Cs6/Plug-ins/
As mentioned above make sure they are all 64bits plugins.

Previous versions of ON1 plugins never worked with Affinity Photo. They were not recognized/didn't appear in the Filters menu. I haven't tested the latest version but it's quite possible it still doesn't work. Will have to check. The Nik Collection however should work in Affinity Photo 1.8.3 with minor issues (excepting Perspective Efex which doesn't run at all/is not compatible).

• 1 year later...

I think OrionX is a Panel, if so it's definitely not compatible with Affinity Photo.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions