You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• Staff

Hi Billharris,
Welcome to Affinity Forums,
Unlike Illustrator and InDesign, Photoshop doesn't have any specific bleed setting/support, so only the actual document canvas will be exported too PSD, not the bleed area. If you need to include it, the only way is to create a larger document that encompasses the required bleed dimensions as part of the document size.

30 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi Billharris,
Welcome to Affinity Forums,
Unlike Illustrator and InDesign, Photoshop doesn't have any specific bleed setting/support, so only the actual document canvas will be exported too PSD, not the bleed area. If you need to include it, the only way is to create a larger document that encompasses the required bleed dimensions as part of the document size.

Thank you MEB for the reply. Makes perfect sense.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I got the same problem today. It would be really helpful if there was an option to export a raster image file (TIFF, PSD etc) with the bleed area icluded.This is for all Affinity softwares. As an illustrator for childrens books and puzzles I always have to deliver my illustrations including the bleed area. If there is the need for including the bleed into the actual canvas size, in my opinion the bleed doesn't make sense any more (because it's not a bleed any more).

I think, it should not make too much difficulties to include the bleed into export, therefore an option to choose if the bleed should be included or not would be much appreciated 😉. As mentioned this is for Publisher as for Photo and Designer.

3 hours ago, chessboard said:

As an illustrator for childrens books and puzzles I always have to deliver my illustrations including the bleed area

Common practice for illustrator is to deliver art with enough bleed area but NOT with actual bleed (with or without printers marks). Creating the actual bleed is a job and responsibility of the book designer who does the real layout. So, if you need to visualize it, make canvas/page size include the bleed and use margins to mark final trimmed page. It is designers job to decide how contents are positioned to the page.

If you need to deliver press ready pages send them a PDF (but you have to know all the right parameters).

Thanks for your advice, but I know all this. I am doing this job for about 25 years now. In fact in most cases I prepare the designs while doing the illustrations. I decide where the text goes, what the layout is going to look like. I get the measurements including bleed and safe area with the briefings and have to fill the blank pages with my designs. The technical side of the job is later done by the publishers (btw. not the smallest ones in Germany).

What you describe is my practise since years. But I dont get, why it would be a problem to give the user an option to decide if he wants the bleed to be included when exporting as raster image or not. It's such a small change from a technical view, just make the rasterized area a little larger. It would make the software more flexible in use, what would be a brownie point, wouldn't it? (Btw. Adobe Illustrator can do this without any problems, but I would prefer to use Affintiy Designer and Publisher)

I don't think that it is a reasonable point of view for a software publisher to say: "We designed it that way, so live with it". This is like Steve Jobs saying: "You're holding it wrong."

Fortunately Affinity proved to listen to its customers in many cases, thus I don't give up my hope in this case, too.

19 hours ago, chessboard said:

It would be really helpful if there was an option to export a raster image file (TIFF, PSD etc) with the bleed area icluded.

That sounds like an interesting idea, but misplaced here. I recommend posting it in the Feature Requests forum, probably in Feedback for the Affinity Suite of Products.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1