You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I need your opinion on this

rodsal23

Attach the image, please. That will increase your chance to get help. 🙂

Greetings from Germany

Micha

Please excuse my bad english. I learned it at school over thirty years ago. If you don't use it (regularly), you'll loose it.

Windows 10 & iPadOS: Affinity Suite (v1 and v2), all Workbooks (v1, german language), some content-packages

56 minutes ago, MichaDE said:

Attach the image, please.

There’s a link (to the file ‘boy1.bmp’) in the original post. detective.gif

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Yes, but 56 hits and only 9 downloads and 0 replies... 😉

Greetings from Germany

Micha

Please excuse my bad english. I learned it at school over thirty years ago. If you don't use it (regularly), you'll loose it.

Windows 10 & iPadOS: Affinity Suite (v1 and v2), all Workbooks (v1, german language), some content-packages

5 hours ago, rodsal23 said:

is the quality good enough already?

That entirely depends on what you want to use the image for! For example, your boy looks perfectly adequate to me for a birthday card image.

5 hours ago, Smee Again said:

Can't speak for others, a download link does nothing to pique my interest, and usually steers me away from a post.

I would agree with that.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

On 6/29/2020 at 5:12 AM, Smee Again said:

Can't speak for others, a download link does nothing to pique my interest, and usually steers me away from a post.

Better to convert to JPG and include in post.

I'm usually too lazy to click through to links too!

How to improve, practice and practice more. If you want to do people there are lots of tutorials and guides out there on all sort of styles from comic to more realistic, more than probably anything other subject. So look around at what style takes your fancy. Practice doesn't even mean drawing the whole thing, practice eyes, mouths....  

Marc

ArtByMarc.me

Affinity Photo Facebook post often receive a lot of comments concerning individual works and suggestion.,

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

• 5 weeks later...
On 6/29/2020 at 6:16 AM, rodsal23 said:

sorry I'm new I don't know how to screenshot my image. I only did this in 30 minutes but is the quality good enough already? I don't know how I could still improve.

boy1.jpg

Looks really unique — what are you working on? Desktop or iPad? 😀

Hackintosh running Big Sur 11.2.3, Coffe Lake i3 with UHD630 graphics

MacBook (Early 2015) running macOS Mojave

iPad Pro 11-inch (1st generation) running iPadOS 13.5

Vista PC in the attic 

22 hours ago, konstantnnn said:

Looks really unique — what are you working on? Desktop or iPad? 😀

I know you are just trying to encourage me to pursue :D actually I already gave up with Affinity, I downloaded it because of its 3 months trial, now I only have 40 days left, I wasted  50 days of my trial, I didn't try to learn how to use it, not because its a bad software, but because I suck as an artist, also I've been tinkering with some other painting/drawing softwares...but a few days ago I tried Isometric, and I'm quite happy with the result  , the only downside is that I couldn't use my drawing pen 

tower.jpg

2 minutes ago, rodsal23 said:

I know you are just trying to encourage me to pursue :D actually I already gave up with Affinity, I downloaded it because of its 3 months trial, now I only have 40 days left, I wasted  50 days of my trial, I didn't try to learn how to use it, not because its a bad software, but because I suck as an artist, also I've been tinkering with some other painting/drawing softwares...but a few days ago I tried Isometric, and I'm quite happy with the result  , the only downside is that I couldn't use my drawing pen 

tower.jpg

I guess it could sound that way — but I honestly do think your style is unique. Reminded me of a painting my mom had in her house. 

I really, really want you to remember something — style, “soul” and character is the single MOST important thing when doing art. Everything else is secondary.

No amount of technical know-how will be able to cover up for a picture that lacks soul.

And I didn’t comment on the contents of your post above. No, not at all. I didn’t comment about image quality, or drawing quality — there is much to say, but I commented on your style — the single most important thing.

The image you posted above from the Isometric app is technically superior, and more “pleasing” (proportionally speaking) but it seriously lacks any personality, soul or character — something that was somewhat expressed in the original image you posted here.

I truly want you to remember that technical know-how is easily acquired. Loosing track of why you fell in love with Art and loosing your inner focus and instinct, being obsessed with tools and techniques and doing generic work is the quickest way to kill your true “artist” inside. 

After going to photography school, and learning all those techniques and “rules you mustn’t break” I thought I was great at photography. Then I looked back and reflected on my work from the past — and it was all blurry, it didn’t follow the rule of thirds (the overly used cliche rule everyone uses), and it wasn’t “technically perfect”. But I found out that they were so much better than my images after I’ve gone to school. 

I always questioned that, why? could this be… And I came to the realization that no amount of rules and technical perfection can fix a soulless image — and the quickest way to loose your character, soul and honesty in your work is for yourself to stop being honest — to be scared of breaking rules and judgment, and to think that your work must be similar to the work of the “masters” to be good art.

So many “professional” photographers have critiqued this image that its “horrible that the sky is blown out, bird is at the edge of the scene, colors aren’t saturated enough” yet I love this image. You can feel the liveliness and the soul of the birds. Doing a technically perfect image would only ruin that character.

That would be my only peace of feedback for you.

Never stop looking, and never blend in :)! If your instinct and drive tells you to do something, do it! You may not be able to articulate why you have that feeling, but it is the right, honest feeling and instinct you need to create good, your work.

You will get the hang of affinity or all these other apps — but please, don’t be a generic geometric designer. Your drawings have much to offer :).

8CF0A827-2949-4C7B-A04A-BE4A20622321.jpeg

Vista PC in the attic 

On 8/8/2020 at 9:16 AM, konstantnnn said:

I guess it could sound that way — but I honestly do think your style is unique. Reminded me of a painting my mom had in her house. 

I really, really want you to remember something — style, “soul” and character is the single MOST important thing when doing art. Everything else is secondary.

No amount of technical know-how will be able to cover up for a picture that lacks soul.

And I didn’t comment on the contents of your post above. No, not at all. I didn’t comment about image quality, or drawing quality — there is much to say, but I commented on your style — the single most important thing.

The image you posted above from the Isometric app is technically superior, and more “pleasing” (proportionally speaking) but it seriously lacks any personality, soul or character — something that was somewhat expressed in the original image you posted here.

I truly want you to remember that technical know-how is easily acquired. Loosing track of why you fell in love with Art and loosing your inner focus and instinct, being obsessed with tools and techniques and doing generic work is the quickest way to kill your true “artist” inside. 

After going to photography school, and learning all those techniques and “rules you mustn’t break” I thought I was great at photography. Then I looked back and reflected on my work from the past — and it was all blurry, it didn’t follow the rule of thirds (the overly used cliche rule everyone uses), and it wasn’t “technically perfect”. But I found out that they were so much better than my images after I’ve gone to school. 

I always questioned that, why? could this be… And I came to the realization that no amount of rules and technical perfection can fix a soulless image — and the quickest way to loose your character, soul and honesty in your work is for yourself to stop being honest — to be scared of breaking rules and judgment, and to think that your work must be similar to the work of the “masters” to be good art.

So many “professional” photographers have critiqued this image that its “horrible that the sky is blown out, bird is at the edge of the scene, colors aren’t saturated enough” yet I love this image. You can feel the liveliness and the soul of the birds. Doing a technically perfect image would only ruin that character.

That would be my only peace of feedback for you.

Never stop looking, and never blend in :)! If your instinct and drive tells you to do something, do it! You may not be able to articulate why you have that feeling, but it is the right, honest feeling and instinct you need to create good, your work.

You will get the hang of affinity or all these other apps — but please, don’t be a generic geometric designer. Your drawings have much to offer :).

8CF0A827-2949-4C7B-A04A-BE4A20622321.jpeg

Did you use pen tool for that? I'm having difficulty using pen tool it seems unnatural for me

14 minutes ago, rodsal23 said:

okay now that hurts....this is the best I could do so far 🤣 Is this good enough for YouTube? 😅

b1.gif

Absolutely, but only if this animation you have showed me is actually a part of a huge scenery in the jungle… I’m imagining all these trees, that lion, and something happening with a story… All drawn in your style — it would be so cool!!! I really like the watercolorish feel

Vista PC in the attic 

10 minutes ago, rodsal23 said:

Did you use pen tool for that? I'm having difficulty using pen tool it seems unnatural for me

Are you on an iPad or the PC?

Vista PC in the attic