Grr

Color picker messes up photos pasted from clipboard

When i paste a picture from copied from my browser and use the color picker, the picker changes the colors of the picture.

Here's a video demo: https://streamable.com/hfki1h

- It doesn't happen if the picture is loaded from disk.

- It doesn't happen after rasterizing the photo.

Secondarily, i'd like to complain about how annoying it is that there is no "Paste new from clipboard" in the Edit, along with all the other pasting options. I will not ever remember the ridiculous CTRL-SHIFT-ALT-N shortcut. The option is kind of hidden as it's in the file menu. IMHO CTRL+V should paste a new document when there are no other documents open.

Hey Grr,

Uncheck 'Apply to selection' on the context toolbar to prevent this happening.

To me it makes sense that it in in the File menu as this is where we make new documents but this is just a personal preference thing. You can add any shortcut you want from Edit > Preferences > Keyboard Shortcuts. 

5 hours ago, Grr said:

-It doesn't happen if the picture is loaded from disk.

- It doesn't happen after rasterizing the photo.

When you paste an image from the clipboard, you get an (Image) layer rather than a (Pixel) layer. After Rasterizing (or if you load directly from disk) you have a (Pixel) layer, and the two kinds of layers operate differently.

An (Image) layer is essentially a kind of vector layer, not a pixel layer, and as such it can have a Fill. If you're not careful with its options (as Chris mentioned) the Color Picker Tool will set the Fill, changing the color of the (Image) layer.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1909 (183623.476),
   Desktop: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970
   Laptop:  8GB memory, Intel Core i7-3625QM @ 2.30GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Affinity Photo 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.4.674 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.4.674 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.4.663 Beta.