You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

TOC - formatting two-line TOC entries, and the space between title and page #

What I want is this (done in Word):

So first, I find myself confused by the tab spacing settings in Publisher. None of the changes I've made in the settings and leaders has been able to get me a single space, inserted character, and another single space between entries and page numbers.

Second, I'd really like to automatically insert the "ONE" "TWO" etc. headers above the chapter entries, but apparently that's not possible in Publisher until we get custom fields. (Please?) So I manually added those lines, but I cannot get them to stay inserted between TOC entries. Whenever I update the TOC, I get this.

1. How to format the entries the way I want? (Chapter Name  #)

2. How to insert text above each entry and get it to stay there when the TOC is updated?

word toc.png

aff toc.png

Have you considered making your chapter title

ONE
  The Naiad Pond

with a line-break (shift+enter) after the word ONE? Then there's a TOC panel option not to remove the line-break.

Unfortunately, I don't think that will center the ONE. For that, you might need to have two headings. Use a style for ONE that says centered, perhaps named Heading 1. Then use Heading 2 for the rest of the title, and have it left-aligned. Include both heading styles in your TOC.

For the other one (title, space, character, space, number): In the TOC studio panel, you can specify the separator. Just speciy a space, the character you want (instead of the tab that's there by default) and another space. (I would include a screenshot but that is not possible at the moment; I get a 7 error when I try.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

4 minutes ago, CylonRaven said:

I cannot find any way to paste a Line Break character into the Section Name field. No matter where I copy it from, it does not appear when I try pasting in the field.

No, you can't. But how are you using the Section Name in a way that will get it into the TOC? And, as you've already found, you cannot update the TOC manually and get what you want. I think you must setup the headings within the text manually, if you want the TOC to work properly.

So, for example, you put ONE as the Heading 1 text, then the <Section Name> as the Heading 2 text, then your TOC should work. (But without a sample .afpub file it's hard to be sure :) )

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

3 minutes ago, CylonRaven said:

That would require I have a Heading One that says "ONE" in the chapter, right? I suppose I could make it invisible.

Yes, it would.

I guess I'm surprised you don't want that; including the chapter number at the beginning f a chapter is fairly standard, in the books I read. But yes, you might be able to make it invisible. Some ways that you do that might also make the entry in the TOC invisible, so it might take a bit of experimentation. It will also be harder for you to add it or manage it if it's invisible :)  (But one way might be to have it in its own text frame, inherited from a Master page, and hide that layer on the Master page when you don't want it showing.)

-- Walt
PC:

Okay, progress, but still puzzlement.

I created two text boxes on my chapter title pages. One is just the chapter number. The other is the Section Name field. I can make the chapter number invisible by making the layer invisible on the master.

Now, look at my TOC. First of all, the chapter numbers appear UNDER the chapter titles. Why?

Second, I unchecked page numbering for the style associated with the chapter numbers, but "ONE" still got the page number (and yet, not "TWO") - I can't figure out why.

2020-06-28 (3).png

2020-06-28 (2).png

34 minutes ago, CylonRaven said:

First of all, the chapter numbers appear UNDER the chapter titles. Why?

Ah, yes. Because TOCs are built in layer order, and layers lower in the layer stack are earlier on the page (regardless of visual appearance). You need to move the frame for the invisible text lower in the layer stack in the Master page.

38 minutes ago, CylonRaven said:

I unchecked page numbering for the style associated with the chapter numbers, but "ONE" still got the page number (and yet, not "TWO") - I can't figure out why.

Without actually having your .afpub file, I'm not sure either. Can you produce a small sample setup as you're trying to use it, and post it here?

-- Walt
PC: