You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have a vector art file with a white background. I want to remove the white background so that the background is transparent. The actual graphic doesn't have any white in it. Is there a way to (a) select all white pixels, and (b) delete them so that only a transparency remains?

Thanks

Edited by JazzEngineer
Quality too high. Not supposed to post it.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

If this is a vector graphic file; which type of vector graphic file is it… EPS, SVG, PDF, Ai?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Psenda,

Thank you but you did not understand what I want. I imported the graphic off the web. I then opened it in Affinity Designer. I cut out what I could but there is still some background showing. I want to select just the white background, which is on the same layer as the branch, with a click, and then delete all those white pixels.

Steve

If you have Affinity Photo you can use Filter > Colours Erase white paper, or use the flood select tool and click on an area of white and delete the white.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

3 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

If you have Affinity Photo you can use Filter > Colours Erase white paper,

Yes, but it would be better to get the vector file, the background should be transparent.
I don't have  an account there, but perhaps those are free files for registered members.

55 minutes ago, Wosven said:

Yes, but it would be better to get the vector file, the background should be transparent.
I don't have  an account there, but perhaps those are free files for registered members.

I agree but sometimes it’s cheaper to buy a PNG file than it is to buy a Vector file, you pay for editability. As it stands the remove white paper works well on this image.

I think the “free" refers to a free trial (Subscription)

Screen-Shot-2020-06-28-at-09-14-21.png

@firstdefence

I would suggest deleting the files from this thread for copyright problems.

The files are free for the users of different reputable site selling images. This means the author provide some of his pics/illustrations for free on those sites, but get a fee for each download, as is usual with some photo agency, for example. That's why the EPS vesion is only available on those sites.

The other sites providing this file are questionable.

54 minutes ago, Wosven said:

when reading the URL, it said 'images-libres-de-droits', that would means "free", but they display a price to get it

I think they mean that it’s what would be called ‘royalty-free’ in English: you don’t have to pay royalties (i.e. a fee for each use) but you do have to pay for your copy of the original image.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

6 minutes ago, Wosven said:

@firstdefence

I would suggest deleting the files from this thread for copyright problems.

The files are free for the users of different reputable site selling images. This means the author provide some of his pics/illustrations for free on those sites, but get a fee for each download, as is usual with some photo agency, for example. That's why the EPS vesion is only available on those sites.

The other sites providing this file are questionable.

Actually I agree again, I’ll remove it and replace it with a partial example and the 123rf watermark.

Just now, Alfred said:

I think they mean that it’s what would be called ‘royalty-free’ in English: you don’t have to pay royalties (i.e. a fee for each use) but you do have to pay for your copy of the original image.

Read my previous post. Free is subjective when dealing with our customers. Our photo agency have "free" pics for some or ours clients, but it doesn't means CC0/ or public domain pics. Only that OURS customers can use without charge some of the pics and have to pauid for some more recent ones, for example, but it's not free for all pics. There are copyright, and the authors are paid depending of the use of the pics.

If people were using our pics for free as in Pixabay, the agency would close. It's a service we provide to part of our customers, nothing more.

On 123rf or Dreamstime, the licence isn't CC0 or Public domain.

4 minutes ago, Wosven said:

the authors are paid depending of the use of the pics

Yes, that’s what ‘royalties’ refers to. Some pics are distributed without anything further to pay after the initial purchase price (but that price tends to be higher, of course).

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

12 hours ago, firstdefence said:

I think the “free" refers to a free trial (Subscription)

Not in this case. "libre de droits" means CC0 or public domain. No copyrights. But it's only what's in the link. To know more, it would be necessary to read their CGU (= small text list of conditions nobody want to read).
There's a lot of free account/subscription where you only need to provide personal infos and CB number… Or where, like with some well know site, you freely subscribe to be able to download images, and if you forget to unsubscribe in a month, you're stuck to paid for a full year.

4 hours ago, JazzEngineer said:

I have legal permission to use the image now.

Sure, but certainly not to post it in forums.

7 minutes ago, Wosven said:

Not in this case. "libre de droits" means CC0 or public domain. No copyrights. But it's only what's in the link. To know more, it would be necessary to read their CGU (= small text list of conditions nobody want to read).
There's a lot of free account/subscription where you only need to provide personal infos and CB number… Or where, like with some well know site, you freely subscribe to be able to download images, and if you forget to unsubscribe in a month, you're stuck to paid for a full year.

Sure, but certainly not to post it in forums.

Wosven,

The image has been deleted. OK now?