You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have problem creating a text frame inside an existing text frame in AFF Publisher (AFF Photo).  For example I use two columns on a page.  I put a picture in one of the columns (text frame).  I am unable to make a text frame to give a title to the picture.   I have to make a text frame outside the column (text frame) in an area where there is no text frame.  Then I drag this text frame into the column to title the picture.

Why is it that I cannot make the second text frame in the column (text frame)?

Thank you.

Welcome to the forums.
Would you be able to show us a mock-up of the sort of thing you want to do?
It sounds like you might be trying to do things ‘the long way round’ but I cannot tell from your description. (E.g. Putting a Text Frame inside another Text Frame is not a ‘usual’ thing to do.)
The more information you can give us as to what you want and what you want to do with it the better.

Thanks for supplying the mock-up Harnaak.
Is there some reason why you need – or think you need – the figure Image and Text Frame to be “inside” the larger Text Frame?
I only ask as your mock-up seems to do a reasonable job as it is so I am wondering what extra you would achieve by putting the other layers “inside” the larger frame.
If you need the figure text and image to move with the text (after editing perhaps) inside the larger frame then Pinning – as mentioned by Wosven above – would give you what you want (put the image and text frame inside a group and then pin the group within the larger frame) but you might not need to do this.
What you should do really depends on exactly what you need and we don’t have enough information yet to be sure that we are giving you the best advice.

Thanks GarryP.  The title under the image (blue text) is actually anither text frame (note the box around it in the PIC).  I had to create this text frame outside the text box and drag it under the image.  My question is why can I not create this text frame inside the bigger text frame? 

To rephrase my earlier question, what do you mean by “inside”?
Do you mean the ‘visually within the bounds of’ or ‘contained within as a child layer of’, or something else?
If you mean the former then you seem to have that already.
If you mean the latter then please explain why you need this.
If you mean something else then you will have to explain further.

1 hour ago, Harnaak said:

My question is why can I not create this text frame inside the bigger text frame? 

Simply because when you have the Text Frame Tool selected and hover over an existing Text Frame the cursor then changes to the text insertion cursor as the program assumes you want to edit the text inside that text frame.

It you want to add another Text Frame to your document you must do so by using the Text Frame Tool outside of an existing Text Frame

After that you can move it wherever you want in your document

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

When I use spacing, to tighten the sentence, the lines tighten themselves but the words from the lines below do not move upwards, as they should, but stay in the line below and tighten. That wasn't the case before.

For example, in the sentence above: if I tighten it, the words "but stay in the..." should jump in the first line - but they stay in the line below and tighten.

Edited by AlexT1961

2 hours ago, AlexT1961 said:

When I use spacing, to tighten the sentence, the lines tighten themselves but the words from the lines below do not move upwards, as they should, but stay in the line below and tighten. That wasn't the case before.

For example, in the sentence above: if I tighten it, the words "but stay in the..." should jump in the first line - but they stay in the line below and tighten.

That sounds like you might have a paragraph break or a line break (shift+enter) at the end of the line, rather than just letting the line flow and wrap normally.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

6 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

That sounds like you might have a paragraph break or a line break (shift+enter) at the end of the line, rather than just letting the line flow and wrap normally.

It looks like it. I will have to reformat the text.

Thanks!

You're welcome.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1