You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Running out of memory messages

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone else has the following setup an issues as I have. Working on larger documents with many images, files being kept in a dropbox (professional subscription) folder. Towards the end of the process of getting up to 122pp and near the end of the design phase, I now get reliably and regularly my laptop grinding to a halt. The 'out of system memory' message keeps popping up predictably within about 10-30 minutes of working in the file, almost regardless what I do. It is however very pronounced when I do export files to PDF to high res/press settings options. It is, I think, directly related to file sizes. But as I am not entirely sure, I am wondering what the real source is, insufficient disc space on local machine ? (my dropbox certainly has plenty of spare space available)...

Unfortunately I also get a message here that I can't upload a screen shot image... Will try to come back to this later i guess.

Specs: MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2019), 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 2400 MHz DDR4, MacOS 10.14.6, APub file is 41.9MB, 112pp (with more than 500 images linked)

Thanks in advance

Chris

Screen Shot 2020-06-26 at 5.47.43 PM.png

22 hours ago, chrisnz said:

with more than 500 images linked

How many bytes is that?

22 hours ago, chrisnz said:

But as I am not entirely sure, I am wondering what the real source is, insufficient disc space on local machine ? 

Try look to Task Manager (Activity Monitor). 

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

The warning message, “Out of System Memory”, would suggest to me that you are running out of RAM father than disc space. Which would definitely cause your system to grind to a crawl.
As Pšenda asks what dose your 500 images add up to? Even linked it’s still data that APub needs to keep track of.
How much RAM usage have you allowed APub in it’s Preferences > Performance?

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

As discussed in this article, you could be getting the 'application memory' error because there is not enough free space on your startup drive for the swap files needed to store app data when it won't all fit into RAM.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 7 months later...

I can confirm the same observations as chrizn was telling: I get a big file with now more than 140 pages and starting AP I can observe how my mac is getting hot and disc space occupation is increasing relatively rapidly to full (occupying more than 100GB just by the program). As it is a photo book there are many photos linked (up to now about 4.8 GB) what would not justify the amount of disc space occupied (it multiplies the linked data by 20!) . Photos and work file are on the same drive (not my internal hard drive!). So I get the same messages as chrizn is showing and many times the program shuts down without notice (5 minutes later I get a collapse message). Even the program now closed the occupied hard disc space is not freed but I have to restart my mac to get it off. This seems to me a big bug, first of all that the Publisher is keeping all the data tracked despite only to be linked to the original files (this should definitely be less than the sum of all linked files!), and second not to free this space after closing the program.

As I couldn't work / progress with my big book I had to start a new file (and hopefully can combine the two parts afterwards into one). With this it works fast and without that kind of space usage (but still with few pages)

My specs: MacBookAir 13" 2018 with OS 10.14.6, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD, APublisher 1.8.6

• 3 years later...

I have M1 Mac Mini and find that when I process many images from an event I always get this error message too  - shooting mostly raw, a few adjustments, then in develop persona auto levels and WB are enough for the majority  (because the Nikon Z8 is superb in this respect!).  I would have culled so that I am only developing about 50 images in a session.  Workflow is to save in .afphoto with the intention of batch processing to large and then small jpegs in srgb but I can never get that far in one go.  I turn the programme off and sometimes even the computer!  I don't recall Photoshop doing this to me - albeit I have been with AP for several years now.

I use a 4tb external to hold most 'done' folders and an 8tb external as time machine.  

Any advice would be most welcome.  I have racked up the slider for ram usage to 80% of space.