You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Brush Resize & Pressure Broken When using Pen Tablet

Having the Windows Ink replaced by the Win Tab caused the Resize to break when using a Pen Tablet. I have mine set using the Side Button and Click-drag for the shortcuts. It works in the Retail version.

1. Select the Brush Tool.

2. Press the side button on the Pen, a blue circle appears in the center and there's a constant flicker.

3. Unable to resize the pen by pressing it to the canvas and dragging.

This was attempted with and without WIndows Ink enabled in the Wacom Tablet Properties. With Windows Ink enabled in the Wacom Properties, the Pressure sensitivity worked, albeit with the flickering. Disabled and and there's not pressure sensitivity and flicker goes away.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

Can confirm this as well. There are just too many bugs with it right now. Sometimes the pen stroke does not respond and you keep drawing without anything happening on the canvas. Then there are tons of broken shortcuts like alt+R click+L click where you are only able to make the UI for the shortcut to appear, but you can't confirm anything by dragging or clicking L click. When using the colour picker on alt+L click/L click drag you get locked into colour picking the canvas without being able to confirm which colour you want, thus locking the entire software to being stuck in colour picker mode. Finally you can't use the side buttons on your digital pen to create normal L clicks without pen pressure, so there are multiple levels stuff going wrong.

Here's an example video showing what I mean. The times I do confirm shortcuts I use the mouse or reset the program using Esc to get back to normal mode. The only thing that actually works right now is drawing with pen pressure, but if some other bug appears, it eventually stops working until you manage to reset everything back to normal. Before you ask, yes, I changed my Wacom tablet settings by enabling/disabling Windows Ink and switching between Hover Click and Click & Tap. Makes absolutely no difference.

Even worse here...  1st run and on WACOM CTH-460 (8 year old Bamboo Pen & Touch) pen side buttons both WORKED OK, for around 20 seconds. Resized brush Ok, but then my pointer in Win10 would not click on  any of the UI and work. Had to kill AP.

2nd run and  PEN buttons would not work, selected a brush and then the Win10 cursor disappeared. Only reappeared when I pressed the Windows Keyboard key. All of UI was unresponsive. Killed AP.

3rd run. A mix of 1st and 2nd run above....! UI was eventually inoperative. Cursor stayed as Brush Resize, still painted occasionally. Killed AP.

No crash. Removed beta. HTH...

Quote: Removed "Windows Ink" option, and replaced with high precision WinTab support .

With this option, my graphics tablet is no longer usable, e.g. do not work, pen buttons, pen pressure, color picking etc.

(I use a Huion Inspiroy H1060 P)

Also the start of Affinity Photo with the option --disable-wintab, do not bring any significant improvements.
Beta removed.

Cheers

Affinity Photo 2.4:         Affinity Photo 1.10.6: 

Affinity Designer 2.4:    Affinity Designer 1.10.6:

Affinity Publisher 2.4:   Affinity Publisher 1.10.6:    

Windows 11 Pro  (Version 23H2 Build (22631.3296)

6 hours ago, Gnobelix said:

Also the start of Affinity Photo with the option --disable-wintab, do not bring any significant improvements.

Adding this option will make your tablet behave like a mouse, so I wouldn't expect it to improve anything (it's merely for diagnostic purposes).

Without that option, can you draw in the app? Does the positional data work?

21 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

Without that option, can you draw in the app? Does the positional data work?

Hallo Mark,

no, in the current beta I can not draw, see clip one.

Affinity Beta was only operated with the stylus, the same applies to the customer version. (see Clip two)

I couldn't upload video files, for whatever reason.

Cheers

Affinity Photo 2.4:         Affinity Photo 1.10.6: 

Affinity Designer 2.4:    Affinity Designer 1.10.6:

Affinity Publisher 2.4:   Affinity Publisher 1.10.6:    

Windows 11 Pro  (Version 23H2 Build (22631.3296)

Using a Huion HS610 Tablet & Affinity Photo

Retail version 1.8.3.641

Windows ink enabled in Tablet software, but not in Affinity.

Using Brush:              

• Pen pressure works; ‘right mouse button’, assigned to lower pen button, works OK.
  • Brush hardness & size works with ALT key(assigned to key 6) & using the pen nib depressed and holding down the lower pen button, (Mouse Right Button).
  • The upper pen button is assigned Control + Z, (UnDo), works OK.
  • Selecting the ‘Pen Tool’ works as expected using the tablet.
  • With Windows Ink ON in Affinity they do not work.

Beta Version 1.8.4.665

Windows ink enabled or disabled has no effect when using the Tablet.

• The tablet Pen is moving the brush on the monitor, but will not paint.
  • Unable to control pen size and hardness, via tablet.
  • Selecting the ‘Pen Tool’ will not draw lines.

Thanks

Affinity Photo, Designer, (1.10.4.1198); Sketchup

Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit; Ver. 21H2 (OS Build 19044.1566)

Intel i7-4790, 4 GHz; RAM:16GB; Graphics Card: ASUS (AMD) R9280-DC2T-3GD5.

Graphics Tablet: Huion Inspiroy HS610; Calibration: X-rite i1Display Pro

There are lot of reported problems with Tablets and the latest beta. (665)

The Devs are aware and are currently evaluating all the reports to get some idea of what needs to be done for a generic fix

I would expect a new beta relatively quickly, either to fix the problem or to revert back to the old way of working temporarily 

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

My tablet can paint fine at first. Color picker will sometimes freeze the window. It will stay on the tool cursor and I can't interact with UI, change layers, undo, nothing. Sometimes it is when I change brush size. It is fairly frequent. I seem to be able to paint fine with pressure sensitivity... as long as I don't do much else.

The solution for me has been to minimize and then re-maximize the window and then I can have more time to work until it freezes again 😶

Being able to resize using the shortcuts for my pen is still broken. However the flickering is fixed.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

21 minutes ago, Ron P. said:

Being able to resize using the shortcuts for my pen is still broken. However the flickering is fixed.

Ironically, the MacOS version has this feature.
This is clearly unequal...

@Mark Ingram  

Cats and dogs should be treated fairly.

The more restricted you put on the program, the closer you program is to idiot.

28 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

macOS has 4 keyboard modifiers, and Windows has 3. Getting a consistent experience across operating systems is more difficult because of this.

Windows also has 4 modifiers.
Alt+Ctrl+Shift+Win(start)
I use autohotkey, in the Win key, to implement this feature. It works well.
So that's not an appropriate reason.
This issue is critical for digital painting.
You should fix it. At a minimum, provide the user with a preference that allows the user to customize the modifier. instead of letting such vital features disappear.
MacOS Affinity GPU accelerated development took less than 1 year. And it took you 2 years to transplant it, and it hasn't been done yet.
This feature has a significant impact on performance up to 10 times. You should do your best to achieve it, not to make it go away.
Thank you for your efforts, since version 1.7, affinity has rarely crash, stability is worth affirming.

@Mark Ingram  ☺️

1 minute ago, Aftemplate said:

I can use "Alt Gr" also as a modifier on a standard German keyboard. Using the Win key as modifier initiates actions I do not want.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

24 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

I can use "Alt Gr" also as a modifier on a standard German keyboard. Using the Win key as modifier initiates actions I do not want.

Excluding the Win key, we have more options. Your keyboard has more than 10 keys.
This is by no means a reason to disappear this vital feature.
All of the other similar programs have this critical feature.
(PS Gimp Krita PhotoLine and more)

The above 4 programs are available in MacOS and Windows multi-platform versions.

1 minute ago, Aftemplate said:

Your keyboard has more than 10 keys.

Hmm, I use seldom more than the keys L, M, A and O. No, seriously I just wanted to point out and support you, that there are more than three modifiers on Windows. ;)

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

7 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

Hmm, I use seldom more than the keys L, M, A and O. No, seriously I just wanted to point out and support you, that there are more than three modifiers on Windows. ;)

Yes! Thank you so much for supporting me!
Let's make affinity better together!

35 minutes ago, Aftemplate said:

You should fix it. At a minimum, provide the user with a preference that allows the user to customize the modifier. instead of letting such vital features disappear.
MacOS Affinity GPU accelerated development took less than 1 year. And it took you 2 years to transplant it, and it hasn't been done yet.
This feature has a significant impact on performance up to 10 times. You should do your best to achieve it, not to make it go away.
Thank you for your efforts, since version 1.7, affinity has rarely crash, stability is worth affirming.

@Mark Ingram  ☺️

Start button isn't a modifier. People would not expect it to behave as a modifier either. We considered adding a Preference that would enable Start as a modifier, but it would have to be opt-in, so it doesn't generally solve the problem of the missing 4th modifier.

The other keys (A-Z etc) are also not modifiers (modifiers behave in a special way during input, compared to non-modifier keys).

@Joachim_L, ALT-GR is possible, but would not be usable by a single hand, which would prevent the user from using a mouse or pen with that modifier. i.e. how can I press CTRL, Shift, ALT, and ALT-GR all at the same time, while still creating input from a mouse or pen?

Caps Lock is an alternative we've been considering, but again, that has special meaning when inputting text (and the state is global, so would affect other applications when it was toggled).

16 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

Start button isn't a modifier. People would not expect it to behave as a modifier either. We considered adding a Preference that would enable Start as a modifier, but it would have to be opt-in, so it doesn't generally solve the problem of the missing 4th modifier.

The other keys (A-Z etc) are also not modifiers (modifiers behave in a special way during input, compared to non-modifier keys).

@Joachim_L, ALT-GR is possible, but would not be usable by a single hand, which would prevent the user from using a mouse or pen with that modifier. i.e. how can I press CTRL, Shift, ALT, and ALT-GR all at the same time, while still creating input from a mouse or pen?

This issue is easily resolved:
Simply provide user-defined preferences for this modifier.

For example: E, U+Y, C+7, L+F8, S+N+3+F10+Home

(No restrictions are imposed.)

Also remind you not to shy away from GPU acceleration.

@Mark Ingram

@Mark Ingram,  Thanks to the Dev team for working on the tablet problems.

Using Beta '674 and Huion Inspiroy HS610 the pen now will paint and I have control of the brush pressure.

I cannot alter the brush size and hardness via the equivalent tablet & pen controls, [(key 6 - )ALT + (Lower Pen button-) Right Mouse Button & (Pen depressed-) Left Mouse Button).

The icon for the brush size and hardness is displayed correctly but cannot be altered.  It works fine with the actual ALT button & mouse keys.

If the pen is held in the same position the colour selected will start to pulse, i.e. turn on and off at a regular rate.

Edited by Woodkopf
typo

7 minutes ago, Woodkopf said:

@Mark Ingram,  Thanks to the Dev team for working on the tablet problems.

Using Beta '674 and Huion Inspiroy HS610 the pen now will paint and I have control of the brush pressure.

I cannot alter the brush size and hardness via the equivalent tablet & pen controls, [(key 6 - )ALT + (Lower Pen button-) Right Mouse Button & (Pen depressed-) Left Mouse Button).

The icon for the brush size and hardness is displayed correctly but cannot be altered.  It works fine with the actual ALT button & mouse keys.

If the pen is held in the same position the colour selected will start to pulse, i.e. turn on and off at a regular rate.

Because the modifier is missing, you certainly cannot make such a brush size and hardness change.
The Affinity of the MacOS version can do this.

2 hours ago, Aftemplate said:

@Mark Ingram  ☺️

2 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

Caps Lock is an alternative we've been considering, but again, that has special meaning when inputting text (and the state is global, so would affect other applications when it was toggled).

1 hour ago, Aftemplate said:

This issue is easily resolved:
Simply provide user-defined preferences for this modifier.

For example: E, U+Y, C+7, L+F8, S+N+3+F10+Home

(No restrictions are imposed.)

Also remind you not to shy away from GPU acceleration.

@Mark Ingram

The current GPU acceleration appears to have been lost...

@Alex_M  @MancDan  @Frozen Death Knight  @Zekez  @sbp  @R34V3r  @ashf  @fde101  @RyanJEC    

Windows has the following 4 GPU acceleration Api
OpenCL  OpenCV  Vulcan  CUDA.
MacOS: only has Metal. (The rest was declared deprecated by Apple)
Windows has more sufficient prerequisites for GPU acceleration.   

38 minutes ago, Aftemplate said:

Because the modifier is missing, you certainly cannot make such a brush size and hardness change.
The Affinity of the MacOS version can do this.

Thanks for your feedback, appreciated, however in retail version '641 for Windows, the buttons I described function correctly, i.e. I can resize the brush and alter the hardness holding down Alt on the tablet, pressing the lower pen key and depressing the pen, this does not function correctly in the latest Beta version.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.