You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Brush Resize & Pressure Broken When using Pen Tablet

2 hours ago, AlainP said:

I had the same problem a few days ago while I was fiddling with the Wacom Driver and Photo settings. All of a sudden I had the same problem you have. I uninstalled "completely" the Wacom app and drivers, restarted the computer and reinstalled the Wacom app (same version) and since then everything is back to normal.

Try wacom drive version 6.3.40-2 (latest)
https://www.wacom.com/en-us/support/product-support/drivers

The more restricted you put on the program, the closer you program is to idiot.

3 hours ago, Aftemplate said:

Try wacom drive version 6.3.40-2 (latest)
https://www.wacom.com/en-us/support/product-support/drivers

Thanks, but it will not work with my CTH-470 Bamboo tablet. The latest version I can use is 5.3.5-3

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

Tried newest drivers, no change.

One thing of note, I remember that in previous versions (2-3 ago) I rarely had an issue where my pointer stopped moving and I had to take my pen away and back above the tablet. I don't get this error now, but I gat the stuck on stroke, all the time.

"I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK, I sleep all night, and I work all day..."

12 hours ago, TEcHNOpls said:

Tried newest drivers, no change.

One thing of note, I remember that in previous versions (2-3 ago) I rarely had an issue where my pointer stopped moving and I had to take my pen away and back above the tablet. I don't get this error now, but I gat the stuck on stroke, all the time.

Could you provide a video demonstrating the problem?

2 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

For the Bamboo you'll need to use the --legacy-wintab command line option.

I did not add this to Photo and Windows Ink is not checked in the Wacom app and everything works perfectly in the latest beta.... will there be any difference if I add this to the command line of Photo?

Edit: I just tried with and without  --legacy-wintab .... since I installed the latest beta I did not add this to the command line. I checked before starting Photo and it was not there, my Wacom pen worked perfectly, pressure, zoom, size and opacity.... everything was perfect. I edited the command line and added  --legacy-wintab to it. Restarted Photo and my pen was still working very fine, so I edited the command line again and removed it. Then my pen stopped working fine, it was working like the previous version.... I now need to have this  --legacy-wintab. Does this make any sense?

-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

2 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

Are you sure you removed the command line option from the correct shortcut? i.e. Photo beta or Photo retail? 

It was the beta .681 version. It installed without the  "--legacy-wintab" added to the shortcut. I'm sure it was working fine right after the installation. But since I added it and then removed it... it has to be there to make it work correctly with my pen. I can't explain, but as long as it works fine... I'm good with that.

-- Macbook Air 15"

7 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

Could you provide a video demonstrating the problem?

Here you go, I couldn't find any good OSD solution for my keystrokes, but you can see when it happens and hear my clicking on the keyboard. It stops once I click with my mouse.

2020-07-22_19-42-18.mkv

"I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK, I sleep all night, and I work all day..."

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit (version 1909), Wacom Intuos Pro, driver 6.3.40-2 (Windows Ink off), APhoto 1.8.4.681

I'm going to throw in my twopen'th here.  I've been having a lot of trouble with 'stability' when it comes to holding down the pen and tapping to change brush properties - sometimes as @TEcHNOpls says I don't get de-click and keystrokes (e.g. <alt> or <ctrl>) are held, even outside of the application. However, the process is not (so far) repeatable although it does occur very frequently.  I didn't try using the mouse but unplugging and reconnecting the USB connection worked. It's a real pain.

So I tried reverting to driver 6.3.39-1 and so far (limited testing only this evening) I haven't been able to fault APhoto. Makes me wonder if the problem lies with the Wacom driver or some other (so far untried) combination of options in the Properties of the Wacom tablet.  However I note that the latest incarnation of the Wacom drivers appears to include significant new functionality.  Will be testing the older driver further.

On 7/21/2020 at 6:39 PM, AlainP said:

Thanks, but it will not work with my CTH-470 Bamboo tablet. The latest version I can use is 5.3.5-3

Sorry @AlainP, I told you wrong here. It's only the previous Graphire model that requires the --legacy-wintab command line flag. Your tablet should work fine as it is.

I just wish changing size with pen was simple like say in Krita. Shift+draw on canvas. Easy. Quick. Friendly. Digital painting in Photo is getting really cool. Just make that brush resizing easier so I don't have to make macros, dig into settings of pen to set special things just for Photo. I really like the brushes, I like speed, feeling, symmetry is there... And such simple, fundamental thing as resizing is set by default to extremely weird, two buttons + key setting. My only complain really :)

On 7/23/2020 at 3:25 AM, Mark Ingram said:

Sorry @AlainP, I told you wrong here. It's only the previous Graphire model that requires the --legacy-wintab command line flag. Your tablet should work fine as it is.

OK... after a few trials and errors latest beta version works fine with my CTH-470 tablet without the  "--legacy-wintab". In the Wacom driver "Windows Ink" is disabled. 

I noticed that assigning different functions to the pen's buttons may change the behaviour of the pen. I assigned Zoom in and Zoom out to these buttons using the "keystrokes" option and everything works fine now.

-- Macbook Air 15"

@Mark Ingram Just tried the new shortcuts for the selection tools now and they work great! Thanks a lot for fixing them! 🥳

While we're still on the topic of shortcuts, I would like to ask if it would be possible to get these types of shortcuts for the Sponge Brush Tool as well for this Beta period? Currently you can only change brush size with ctrl+alt+L click like any other brush, but when you want to quickly switch between Saturate and Desaturate or toggle between HSL Saturation and Vibrance, you can't do that with modifier shortcuts and instead you have to manually click on them in the toolbar.

I think adding these shortcuts would make the current push for improved workflow shortcuts feel a bit more feature complete.

Thanks @Frozen Death Knight. The aim of the current set of changes was to eliminate the slightly odd use of right mouse button for shortcuts as it is difficult to do with Wacom, and impossible with Surface pens. We can look at improving other shortcuts in due course (as we're in release candidate mode now) 🙂.

20 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

The aim of the current set of changes was to eliminate the slightly odd use of right mouse button for shortcuts as it is difficult to do with Wacom, and impossible with Surface pens.

Also impossible on laptops like mine where the construction of the touchpad area is such that it’s impossible to press the left and right buttons at the same time. Any move away from the “slightly odd” RMB use is warmly welcomed!

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I -had- a nasty (temporary) problem after installing the 693 version.  With the Wacom the only set of brushes to work were from the basic set, simply trying to paint on a pixel layer. No other brushes worked. As a quick test I used the <L mouse> button to paint with other brushes - which worked fine - and afterwards the Wacom pen worked on all brushes. Am not sure there is there's an initialisation issue here but I can no longer reproduce it.

On a separate note, I switched from USB to Bluetooth connection today and there is noticeable response in delay APhoto such that it's each to overdo a pen movement if it is too quick.  With USB the response was instantaneous.  This may be normal so am leaving it as an observation.

• 2 weeks later...

Tried the latest build with the new input precision list that was added.  A nice little surprise I found was that Windows Ink allows you to use L click on the side buttons of your tablet pen again, so you are able to produce brush strokes with no pen pressure like you used to with Low Precision. High Precision on the other hand does not work, so it is the only one with this regression. Ctrl+alt+L click works with Windows Ink, so I am overall pretty satisfied with using this method for my tablet input.

A pretty good patch overall. Keep it up! 🥳

33 minutes ago, Frozen Death Knight said:

Tried the latest build with the new input precision list that was added.  A nice little surprise I found was that Windows Ink allows you to use L click on the side buttons of your tablet pen again, so you are able to produce brush strokes with no pen pressure like you used to with Low Precision. High Precision on the other hand does not work, so it is the only one with this regression. Ctrl+alt+L click works with Windows Ink, so I am overall pretty satisfied with using this method for my tablet input.

A pretty good patch overall. Keep it up! 🥳

Do you have Windows Ink enabled in your Wacom Properties? Without it, your pen will just behave as a mouse (hence no pressure).

12 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

Do you have Windows Ink enabled in your Wacom Properties? Without it, your pen will just behave as a mouse (hence no pressure).

Yep. I had it deactivated in my Wacom Tablet Properties at first since the Beta and official releases share the same settings, but once I activated Windows Ink there it all worked perfectly fine afterwards.

P.S. The thing I was taking about was the side buttons that some tablet pens have. The regular drawing with pen pressure works fine, but it's the side buttons that I have had problems with in the past when trying to emulate R click or L click as if using a mouse. The current live iteration (aka High Precision) doesn't allow you to do L click with no pen pressure, but for Windows Ink it works. Hope that clears things up! :)

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.