You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Brush Resize & Pressure Broken When using Pen Tablet

1 hour ago, Mark Ingram said:

@PaulAffinity, you probably want to untick "Use Windows Ink". Then you'll get high precision input, and pressure data. 

• Changed brush parameter shortcut from Alt+RightMouseButton to Ctrl+Alt (same as macOS)
  • Added --legacy-wintab command line parameter, which will use low-precision mouse input and tablet pressure data (the same as previous Affinity versions). This is only for users of old tablets that don't report valid high precision input (e.g. Wacom Graphire).

:DThis is the best news for today! Thank you very much for your efforts on it!
You are undoubtedly the leader of freedom. Affinity is excellent because of you!

The more restricted you put on the program, the closer you program is to idiot.

Wacom CTH680 Tablet now working perfectly with latest beta (1.8.4.676)

(Windows Ink is OFF in Wacom configuration software)

CTRL+ALT working correctly

Brush Resize & Hardness, Shape and Spacing and rotation attributes all working

Pen Pressure tested and working

(Windows 8.1)

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

5 hours ago, carl123 said:

Wacom CTH680 Tablet now working perfectly with latest beta (1.8.4.676)

(Windows Ink is OFF in Wacom configuration software)

CTRL+ALT working correctly

Brush Resize & Hardness, Shape and Spacing and rotation attributes all working

Pen Pressure tested and working

(Windows 8.1)

Same here with CTH470 Thanks for this rapid fix !

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

Just saw the patch notes that alt+R click was changed to ctrl+alt, so I made a victory dance with my crab brethren.

Thanks a lot!!! The entire Affinity Suite just became a lot more user friendly with that change alone. 🥳

P.S. It works on my PC, so I can now use the brush shortcuts without any issue.

P.P.S. I just tried using the Lasso Tool and noticed that R click doesn't work when adding more to your selection. Anything that will be addressed before the launch of 1.8.4, @Mark Ingram?

10 hours ago, Frozen Death Knight said:

P.P.S. I just tried using the Lasso Tool and noticed that R click doesn't work when adding more to your selection. Anything that will be addressed before the launch of 1.8.4, @Mark Ingram?

I've just tried that and yes, it doesn't work. I'll see if we can get that changed.

12 hours ago, Frozen Death Knight said:

I just tried using the Lasso Tool and noticed that R click doesn't work when adding more to your selection.

If you mean the Freehand Selection Tool right-click works fine for me on my tablet

(Wacom CTH680)

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Happy to report resizing and pressure works fine now.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

Not sure if this is related, but esp. in the latest beta (or two), I'm having issues where sometimes AP goes into a mode where:

a) It won't detect 'de-click' from the tablet, and will continue to draw on the screen until I click with the mouse.

b) Will allow me to alt-press with my tablet, but once I lift the press it will open the menu on the top and if the alt button is pressed again.

Unfortunately I can't find any consistent way to trigger this, it just happens or not. May be related to CPU load thou, or display frame rate.

image.png.03402658fb0df835fcb8c764f305f586.png

"I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK, I sleep all night, and I work all day..."

Hello All,

I think I've figured out now that <ctrl>+<alt>+<L mouse> does brush size/hardness in the Beta version (as opposed to <alt>+<L mouse>+<R mouse> in production).  Ideally I'd program the Wacom tablet (Intuos Pro) accordingly, one set for Production and one for Beta (corresponding to the same buttons). However, because the executable names are the same (Photo.exe) for both Production and Beta my Wacom tablet properties won't permit addition of both applications (in the Application tab of the Properties dialog).  I need Production to be stable and reliable but it's nice to test Beta for the improvements so every time I switch between them I have to re-program the Wacom tablet properties.  Can the Beta executable have a different name?

Please delete this comment if it's in the wrong stream - when I open Production files with Beta it no longer asks if I want to make a copy or proceed with the edit or get any sort of reminder about this activity. Is this intentional?

7 hours ago, Subclavius said:

However, because the executable names are the same (Photo.exe) for both Production and Beta my Wacom tablet properties won't permit addition of both applications (in the Application tab of the Properties dialog).  I need Production to be stable and reliable but it's nice to test Beta for the improvements so every time I switch between them I have to re-program the Wacom tablet properties.  Can the Beta executable have a different name?

You can try this....

For the purpose of beta testing just copy then rename the beta's photo.exe file to photo2.exe

Both will then show up in the Wacom Application configuration screen.

wacom.png

On 7/16/2020 at 10:02 PM, Mark Ingram said:

What settings do you change in the Wacom Properties? Do you configure one of the Intuos buttons to be Ctrl+Alt?

Assuming this question is for me, I'm using the keyboard buttons. (got the tablet recently, so still adjusting my workflow).

@Mark Ingram In view of the (probable) forthcoming changes I am rejigging my use of the mouse buttons anyway (see below).  I like the use of <ctrl>+<alt>+pen tap giving first brush size/hardness, then shape/spacing, then angle (maybe this has been there for ages but I've only just discovered it!)

@carl123 Thank you. I have renamed the Beta executable and I can now attach it as a separate application in the Application tab of the Wacom properties.

I have discovered a very inconvenient/annoying feature of the new button arrangement in APhoto.  I have the 4 lower buttons on the tablet (am right handed so these are the lower left) set at the default settings of <shift>, <ctrl>, <alt>, <pan/scroll>.  I change brush size quite happily by pressing <ctrl>+<alt> with my left hand and changing the brush with the right hand. It's important here to press the buttons in the right order - I have to press first <ctrl> then <alt>. However, if I'm a little too hasty and press <alt> and then <ctrl> Windows itself get completely messed up and thinks that I'm holding down the <ctrl> key permanently - even outside the application.  The only way to remedy this is by disconnecting the tablet (USB connected) and reconnecting (or a reboot).  Have tried assigning (as modifiers) <ctrl>+<left alt> to the upper button on the pen but this simply doesn't work in APhoto.  The lower button on the pen is assigned to <right click> which I intend to leave as is.  Any comments would be much appreciated.

Thank you

37 minutes ago, Subclavius said:

@Mark Ingram In view of the (probable) forthcoming changes I am rejigging my use of the mouse buttons anyway (see below).  I like the use of <ctrl>+<alt>+pen tap giving first brush size/hardness, then shape/spacing, then angle (maybe this has been there for ages but I've only just discovered it!)

@carl123 Thank you. I have renamed the Beta executable and I can now attach it as a separate application in the Application tab of the Wacom properties.

I have discovered a very inconvenient/annoying feature of the new button arrangement in APhoto.  I have the 4 lower buttons on the tablet (am right handed so these are the lower left) set at the default settings of <shift>, <ctrl>, <alt>, <pan/scroll>.  I change brush size quite happily by pressing <ctrl>+<alt> with my left hand and changing the brush with the right hand. It's important here to press the buttons in the right order - I have to press first <ctrl> then <alt>. However, if I'm a little too hasty and press <alt> and then <ctrl> Windows itself get completely messed up and thinks that I'm holding down the <ctrl> key permanently - even outside the application.  The only way to remedy this is by disconnecting the tablet (USB connected) and reconnecting (or a reboot).  Have tried assigning (as modifiers) <ctrl>+<left alt> to the upper button on the pen but this simply doesn't work in APhoto.  The lower button on the pen is assigned to <right click> which I intend to leave as is.  Any comments would be much appreciated.

Thank you

What you need to be clear about is that it is currently the standard way to MacOS. 
This is excellent.
Pen side keys are annoying, so I don't use it.
You should adapt to a new workflow.
I'm firmly against reversing.

2 hours ago, Aftemplate said:

What you need to be clear about is that it is currently the standard way to MacOS. 
This is excellent.
Pen side keys are annoying, so I don't use it.
You should adapt to a new workflow.
I'm firmly against reversing.

You mean the buttons on your pen? I use them a lot in fact. My standard for those buttons are R click and L click. L click I use to create brush strokes with 100% brush pressure, something which doesn't work in the Beta right now. Shift+L click is also very nice for creating perfectly straight lines with no line width variety. R click I also use a lot because of R click menus and stuff and luckily those seem to work right now.

I hope that the issue of the L click button not working on the pen will be resolved. Really liking the improvements to the brush precision API, but I wish not to lose this nice feature in the process. : )

34 minutes ago, Frozen Death Knight said:

You mean the buttons on your pen? I use them a lot in fact. My standard for those buttons are R click and L click. L click I use to create brush strokes with 100% brush pressure, something which doesn't work in the Beta right now. Shift+L click is also very nice for creating perfectly straight lines with no line width variety. R click I also use a lot because of R click menus and stuff and luckily those seem to work right now.

I hope that the issue of the L click button not working on the pen will be resolved. Really liking the improvements to the brush precision API, but I wish not to lose this nice feature in the process. : )

You mean the buttons on your pen?
Yes! (They are easily triggered by accident. Therefore, I have never used them.)

Shift perfect straight line, I know this, this problem does need to be fixed.
(As for other LR issues, fixing them must not affect Ctrl+Alt)

Emphasize 2 points:
1 Brush accuracy must not degrade.
2 Ctrl+Alt must not reversing.

On 7/15/2020 at 9:54 PM, TEcHNOpls said:

Not sure if this is related, but esp. in the latest beta (or two), I'm having issues where sometimes AP goes into a mode where:

a) It won't detect 'de-click' from the tablet, and will continue to draw on the screen until I click with the mouse.

b) Will allow me to alt-press with my tablet, but once I lift the press it will open the menu on the top and if the alt button is pressed again.

So, testing the latest beta, my tablet is basically unusable. I keep on getting stuck with painting as mentioned in a), and sometimes issue b) also pops up and breaks my flow.

As far as I'm concerned, 2 or 3 betas before were stable, now it's unusable.

1 hour ago, TEcHNOpls said:

So, testing the latest beta, my tablet is basically unusable. I keep on getting stuck with painting as mentioned in a), and sometimes issue b) also pops up and breaks my flow.

Thanks @TEcHNOpls, what tablet do you have?

16 hours ago, TEcHNOpls said:

I had the same problem a few days ago while I was fiddling with the Wacom Driver and Photo settings. All of a sudden I had the same problem you have. I uninstalled "completely" the Wacom app and drivers, restarted the computer and reinstalled the Wacom app (same version) and since then everything is back to normal.

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.