You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Brush Resize & Pressure Broken When using Pen Tablet

9 minutes ago, Woodkopf said:

Thanks for your feedback, appreciated, however in retail version '641 for Windows, the buttons I described function correctly, i.e. I can resize the brush and alter the hardness holding down Alt on the tablet, pressing the lower pen key and depressing the pen, this does not function correctly in the latest Beta version.

The two are essentially different.
The MacOS version requires you to:
Just hold down your keyboard key and drag your brush on the canvas to complete the change of size and hardness.
Yes, you don't even need to press the side button of your pen.
It is so agile and much better than windows.

The more restricted you put on the program, the closer you program is to idiot.

58 minutes ago, Aftemplate said:

The current GPU acceleration appears to have been lost...

@Alex_M  @MancDan  @Frozen Death Knight  @Zekez  @sbp  @R34V3r  @ashf  @fde101  @RyanJEC    

Windows has the following 4 GPU acceleration Api
OpenCL  OpenCV  Vulcan  CUDA.
MacOS: only has Metal. (The rest was declared deprecated by Apple)
Windows has more sufficient prerequisites for GPU acceleration.   

This is a thread about tablet input, please don't keep spamming the same GPU acceleration comment throughout it.

25 minutes ago, Aftemplate said:

The two are essentially different.
The MacOS version requires you to:
Just hold down your keyboard key and drag your brush on the canvas to complete the change of size and hardness.
Yes, you don't even need to press the side button of your pen.
It is so agile and much better than windows.

Because the Apple keyboard has a 4th modifier, on Windows we have to use the right mouse button (which ends up being on the pen).

14 minutes ago, haakoo said:

use the tab button as fourth modifier key

Most GUI toolkits (I haven't really looked at the current Windoze APIs but I'm assuming this is still the case for those) will include flags with both mouse and keyboard events indicating which modifier keys were held down when that event took place.

This means that when a mouse button down event is received (for example), the event will indicate that when the mouse button was pressed down, some mix of the shift, control, and alt keys (for Windows - it would be shift, control, option and command on the Mac) were held down.

They won't say anything about the tab key.

Technically it should be possible to track this separately within the application itself, but it's a lot more work to keep track of, the application would need to figure out when to skip processing of whatever else the tab key might be doing, would need to deal with key repeat events, etc...  it's a bit more complicated to "reuse" a typing key than you might expect, particularly when setting up a modifier that might be used when editing text at the same time?

You would also need to deal with the OS intercepting combinations such as ALT+TAB, meaning that various combinations of modifiers would not work at all...

7 minutes ago, fde101 said:

Most GUI toolkits (I haven't really looked at the current Windoze APIs but I'm assuming this is still the case for those) will include flags with both mouse and keyboard events indicating which modifier keys were held down when that event took place.

This means that when a mouse button down event is received (for example), the event will indicate that when the mouse button was pressed down, some mix of the shift, control, and alt keys (for Windows - it would be shift, control, option and command on the Mac) were held down.

They won't say anything about the tab key.

Technically it should be possible to track this separately within the application itself, but it's a lot more work to keep track of, the application would need to figure out when to skip processing of whatever else the tab key might be doing, would need to deal with key repeat events, etc...  it's a bit more complicated to "reuse" a typing key than you might expect, particularly when setting up a modifier that might be used when editing text at the same time?

You would also need to deal with the OS intercepting combinations such as ALT+TAB, meaning that various combinations of modifiers would not work at all...

This issue is easily resolved:
Simply provide user-defined preferences for this modifier.

For example: E, U+Y, C+7, L+F8, S+N+3+F10+Home

(No restrictions are imposed.)

If the developer is not sure how to solve the problem,

the best way to solve the problem is to return the problem to the user.

It is up to the user to decide.

1 hour ago, Mark Ingram said:

This is a thread about tablet input, please don't keep spamming the same GPU acceleration comment throughout it.

@Mark Ingram  ☺️  Let's move to the right venue:  

38 minutes ago, PaulAffinity said:

Can now confirm current beta as of 9/7/20 pen and tablet WACOM CTH-460 Bamboo pen and touch works perfectly. Win10 2004 and fully utd.
Pen top button drag left-right increases brush size and up down increases hardness.

I wonder how you can achieve this.... on my CTH-470 I can't get pressure and brush size and opacity working at the same time.... it's one or the other.

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

Hello all,

My Huion Tablet has the following setting
Windows ink and Mouse mode:  enabled
Pen Setting:
lower Button: assigned with the ALT + right mouse button
upper Button: assigned with the left mouse button

Stift.png.c92216e72d5b4a909068a8763d9d82b8.png

Affinity Photo was only used  with the pen

Operation of the context menu, is OK.

Press the lower Button of the pen, Brush size and Brush hardness can be changed.
But, one click on the Tablet Desktop with  pressed  lower Button of the Pen, causes a switch between, Size-ardness, Spacing-Shape and Rotation.
Is this a future or a bug? 

Cheers

Affinity Photo 2.4:         Affinity Photo 1.10.6: 

Affinity Designer 2.4:    Affinity Designer 1.10.6:

Affinity Publisher 2.4:   Affinity Publisher 1.10.6:    

Windows 11 Pro  (Version 23H2 Build (22631.3296)

16 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

Because the Apple keyboard has a 4th modifier, on Windows we have to use the right mouse button (which ends up being on the pen).

I fully understand what you mean.
But...
Windows will always have only 3 modifiers (absolutely don't use [Tab]and[Caps lock] key, which is extremely stupid). I'm not talking about you.
You can't make Windows own 4.
But...
Windows must have a modifier located on the keyboard. It is irreplaceable.
As you said, different devices, different keyboard layouts. It's hard to have a panacea.
Affinity designers and photos are not text office, more often, are used for graphics rather than text input.
You should give Windows modifiers, but you don't know what modifiers are reasonable.
There are many useless keys: Home, Ins(insert), and more, and a lot of multimedia keys.
Simply provide this modifier preference. Let the user decide for themselves that they will pick the suitable key as a modifier.
Do you agree with this? If you don't agree, please explain your reasons.
Don't let the problem complicate it, it's so simple.

When you are about to make certain decisions, it is best to ask users for their opinions instead of making your own decisions.
IMHO, your decision to make Windows lose this modifier on the keyboard is extremely unreasonable.

For digital painting, the pen-side keys cannot replace the convenience of the keyboard. (I don’t use the side keys of any pen. Although it has)
Digital painting adjusts this frequently, and your decision greatly reduces this efficiency. This is unacceptable.

@Mark Ingram   

@Gnobelix,

But, one click on the Tablet Desktop with  pressed  lower Button of the Pen, causes a switch between, Size-ardness, Spacing-Shape and Rotation.
Is this a future or a bug? 

That is a feature.

I've uninstalled an reinstalled the drivers for my Wacom Intuos Small several times, to no avail. The retail version works fine for me, but not the beta versions.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

On 7/9/2020 at 10:42 AM, Mark Ingram said:

Start button isn't a modifier. People would not expect it to behave as a modifier either. We considered adding a Preference that would enable Start as a modifier, but it would have to be opt-in, so it doesn't generally solve the problem of the missing 4th modifier.

The other keys (A-Z etc) are also not modifiers (modifiers behave in a special way during input, compared to non-modifier keys).

@Joachim_L, ALT-GR is possible, but would not be usable by a single hand, which would prevent the user from using a mouse or pen with that modifier. i.e. how can I press CTRL, Shift, ALT, and ALT-GR all at the same time, while still creating input from a mouse or pen?

Caps Lock is an alternative we've been considering, but again, that has special meaning when inputting text (and the state is global, so would affect other applications when it was toggled).

It would not work for every tablet out there since you would need buttons on your tablet with customisable keybinds. However, it is a pretty standard feature for a lot of tablets with additional buttons to customise them to do complex button combinations. For instance, all my Wacom tablets are capable of alt-gr/right alt combinations with the other modifiers, so it would not be any issue at all to create a simple one button press to access alt-gr in some form along with combining it with other keys.

The feature would very much be a welcome edition if it means not having to use alt+R click+L click with a tablet pen, since that keybind is very awkward to use.

I have now been able to test the latest tablet changes and the good news is that all the fixes in the patch notes work as expected! Drawing feels overall very good now.

One issue that remains still is the non-functioning modifier shortcuts like alt+R click+L click and 100% brush size painting while using L click on your tablet pen using the side buttons. Lastly, and I can't stress this enough, Affinity does not remember brush pressure size from the last known drawn spot when you create straight lines using shift and clicking on the canvas.

Fix those two problems and I will overall be very satisfied with the precision of the brushes while drawing. 🥳

48 minutes ago, Frozen Death Knight said:

I have now been able to test the latest tablet changes and the good news is that all the fixes in the patch notes work as expected! Drawing feels overall very good now.

One issue that remains still is the non-functioning modifier shortcuts like alt+R click+L click and 100% brush size painting while using L click on your tablet pen using the side buttons. Lastly, and I can't stress this enough,  is that Affinity does not remember brush pressure size from the last known drawn spot when you create straight lines using shift and clicking on the canvas.

Fix those two problems and I will overall be very satisfied with the precision of the brushes while drawing. 🥳

I use AutoHotKey to solve this problem perfectly.
My keyboard has two win keys.
I replaced the right win key with the right mouse button. (using AutoHotKey)
AutoHotKey is free and open source.
Highly optimized modern 64 bit multithreading.
Less than 0.1% of CPU resources and 1MB of memory are used.
The relevant codes are as follows:

RWin::RButton

Far better than your solution. I hope you like it! ☺️ 

(This is the standard method for MacOS versions of affinity photo)

You can download AutoHotKey from many places. 

(they have official websites and programs with digital signatures (secure)
@Frozen Death Knight    

Screencapture, side by side comparison of the retail version, and the current beta version. It matters not if I have Use Windows Ink enable or not.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

@PaulAffinity

If you select the "Pen" tab is "Use Windows Ink" enabled at the bottom left.

And do you start Photo with the "--disable-wintab" switch? Win Tab does a better job than Windows Ink, but I loose the ability to change opacity and size of the brush using the pen.

-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

Hello @AlainP,

I think you have to start Affinity without the "--disable-wintab" option,

with this option, the tablet behaves like a mouse.  ( Statement by Mark Ingram )

Cheers

Affinity Photo 2.4:         Affinity Photo 1.10.6: 

Affinity Designer 2.4:    Affinity Designer 1.10.6:

Affinity Publisher 2.4:   Affinity Publisher 1.10.6:    

Windows 11 Pro  (Version 23H2 Build (22631.3296)

On 7/9/2020 at 9:14 AM, Joachim_L said:

I can use "Alt Gr" also as a modifier on a standard German keyboard.

AltGr is the same as Ctrl+Alt on a standard UK keyboard, and I believe the same applies to a standard German keyboard. As far as I’m aware, a standard US keyboard doesn’t distinguish between the left and right Alt keys.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

6 hours ago, Alfred said:

AltGr is the same as Ctrl+Alt on a standard UK keyboard, and I believe the same applies to a standard German keyboard. As far as I’m aware, a standard US keyboard doesn’t distinguish between the left and right Alt keys.

This is distinguishable. You can use this utility to test.keyboardTESTutility.exe

16 hours ago, Alfred said:

10 hours ago, Aftemplate said:

This is distinguishable. You can use this utility to test.keyboardTESTutility.exe

Different keys generate different signals, of course, but that’s not what I meant; I was looking at it from the user’s perspective. If your keyboard doesn’t have an AltGr key, you can’t do as suggested here:

On 7/9/2020 at 9:14 AM, Joachim_L said:

I can use "Alt Gr" also as a modifier on a standard German keyboard.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

9 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Different keys generate different signals, of course, but that’s not what I meant; I was looking at it from the user’s perspective. If your keyboard doesn’t have an AltGr key, you can’t do as suggested here:

22 hours ago, Aftemplate said:

I use AutoHotKey to solve this problem perfectly.
My keyboard has two win keys.
I replaced the right win key with the right mouse button. (using AutoHotKey)
AutoHotKey is free and open source.
Highly optimized modern 64 bit multithreading.
Less than 0.1% of CPU resources and 1MB of memory are used.
The relevant codes are as follows:

RWin::RButton

Far better than your solution. I hope you like it! ☺️ 

(This is the standard method for MacOS versions of affinity photo)

You can download AutoHotKey from many places. 

(they have official websites and programs with digital signatures (secure)
@Frozen Death Knight    

This is the best temporary solution available.
(Allow Custom any key, not just the right win key)

21 hours ago, AlainP said:

@PaulAffinity

If you select the "Pen" tab is "Use Windows Ink" enabled at the bottom left.

And do you start Photo with the "--disable-wintab" switch? Win Tab does a better job than Windows Ink, but I loose the ability to change opacity and size of the brush using the pen.

@AlainP

The PEN tab IS selected! I have no Windows Ink settings there.

I start Photo with no Switch, just run it as is. HTH

I

1 hour ago, PaulAffinity said:

@AlainP

The PEN tab IS selected! I have no Windows Ink settings there.

I start Photo with no Switch, just run it as is. HTH

I'm sorry, it's my mistake... after the "Pen" tab the "Mapping" button has to be selected to see the "Windows Ink" option..

wink.jpg

-- Macbook Air 15"

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.