You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Cutting a part of a shape out? Help :)

Hi Good People

Need help. I am totally new and just a beginner. I am learning (I want to learn how to use graphic software for my own).

I have a butterfly. I want to take off 1/4 of wings (he has 4 wings - I need one to substract). This one - substracted I want to paste as a new site/page/layer.

I was reading all day your suggestions but nothing happens to my butterfly.

Please - step by step - show me how to cut out one wing and paste it on another "page"

Will appreciate your help very much.

image.png

This forum covers all of the Affinity apps, it's best if you mention which one(s) you have as there are different approaches in each.

Also, that image is attached here as a .png, is that what you are editing or do you have this as a vector?

The way this vector is constructed is a body + antennae shadow, two wings and a single wings shadow. 

The best way is to reorganise the objects by grouping them into body + antennae shadow, Lower wing, upper wing, and lastly wing shadow.

The wings are made of a black background that forms the basic shape of the wing, the main pattern, the white flecks and some yellow patches, oh and an orange splodge called path4314

1459681012_ScreenShot2020-06-26at22_10_38.png.b5392e62ed89b93d6ccc155d0f8a2a95.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

On 6/26/2020 at 11:11 PM, firstdefence said:

The way this vector is constructed is a body + antennae shadow, two wings and a single wings shadow. 

The best way is to reorganise the objects by grouping them into body + antennae shadow, Lower wing, upper wing, and lastly wing shadow.

The wings are made of a black background that forms the basic shape of the wing, the main pattern, the white flecks and some yellow patches, oh and an orange splodge called path4314

1459681012_ScreenShot2020-06-26at22_10_38.png.b5392e62ed89b93d6ccc155d0f8a2a95.png

THANK YOU VERY MUCH! I start to learn now with your instruction and see how i am ... stupid haha. Let you know.

28 minutes ago, AnnM said:

THANK YOU VERY MUCH! I start to learn now with your instruction and see how i am ... stupid haha. Let you know.

How to add here the  file from Affinity Designer? Cant upload any format (I wanted to show you my worka haha)

To make two wings we need to duplicate the wing group and then remove some nodes from the basic wing shape and nest the shapes into each part. 

https://youtu.be/VwL4lKrw8nk

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

12 hours ago, AnnM said:

Thank You very much! I am going to practice this method just right now :). Let You know.

I was lost from 2,50 min; dont know what are you doing...  I cant duplicate your moves (I am stupid). Whats more I have "square" points when you have "oval" - i will give up. I was trying  ALL day to cope with substructing - no effect....

8 hours ago, AnnM said:

I was lost from 2,50 min; dont know what are you doing...  I cant duplicate your moves (I am stupid). Whats more I have "square" points when you have "oval" - i will give up. I was trying  ALL day to cope with substructing - no effect....

Don't worry, you’re not stupid, just inexperienced...

at 2:50 I selected those layers and dragged them into the basic wing shape, this is called nesting layers, so the basic wing shape is called the parent layer and the nested layers are child layers of the parent. To do this nesting drag the selected layers onto the basic wing shape layer and over to the right a bit until you see a blue bar that starts at the right edge of the basic wing shape layers icon, then release the mouse button and the selected layers should be nested. This will clip (hide) anything contained in the selected layers to show only what is within the basic wing shape.

1364737273_ScreenGrab-.png.5e26403e32145df9ca7ad49684f1228f.png

Regarding square nodes and round nodes, these can be changed at will using the node tool (A) context menu just above the work space when the node tool is selected.

909298892_ScreenShot2020-07-01at07_16_47.png.317cf7c44c69427e772bc7ed494a0018.png

https://affinity.help/designer/en-US.lproj/index.html?page=pages/Tools/tools_node.html?title=Node Tool

https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/tutorials/designer/desktop/video/301802454/

It might be an idea to watch some of the videos here to get a better understanding of Affinity: https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/tutorials/designer/desktop/ these are great tutorials that you can refer to anytime to refresh your growing skills.

I use them all the time.

4 hours ago, firstdefence said:

Don't worry, you’re not stupid, just inexperienced...

at 2:50 I selected those layers and dragged them into the basic wing shape, this is called nesting layers, so the basic wing shape is called the parent layer and the nested layers are child layers of the parent. To do this nesting drag the selected layers onto the basic wing shape layer and over to the right a bit until you see a blue bar that starts at the right edge of the basic wing shape layers icon, then release the mouse button and the selected layers should be nested. This will clip (hide) anything contained in the selected layers to show only what is within the basic wing shape.

1364737273_ScreenGrab-.png.5e26403e32145df9ca7ad49684f1228f.png

Regarding square nodes and round nodes, these can be changed at will using the node tool (A) context menu just above the work space when the node tool is selected.

909298892_ScreenShot2020-07-01at07_16_47.png.317cf7c44c69427e772bc7ed494a0018.png

https://affinity.help/designer/en-US.lproj/index.html?page=pages/Tools/tools_node.html?title=Node Tool

https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/tutorials/designer/desktop/video/301802454/

Wow. Now understand. Thank You!

4 hours ago, firstdefence said:

It might be an idea to watch some of the videos here to get a better understanding of Affinity: https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/tutorials/designer/desktop/ these are great tutorials that you can refer to anytime to refresh your growing skills.

I use them all the time.

Hmmm... I saw them all.... but when I need something to do "right now" (just for practising and  learning)  I am confused and dont know what to do... sorry - I bought two Affinity programs (Publisher - this one is now more clear for me, but of course I need more time to be a ... master haha; Designer - very difficult, because I have no expierience with such software.). I was watching on Youtube many tutorials (made by other people) and all of Affinity "Learn", but my main problem is "nomenclature" (English or even Polish). It is hard to understang for such Masters as You are but I did not know what is e.g layer (needed few hours to understand it, but stiil have problems with it's functionality). The same is with other "words" (nodes, pen, pencil, nest, etc. etc. etc.). But I am very ambitious woman and will cope with it (somehow :) ). So thank for what You have done for me and your patience and can promise not to disturb You very often haha. Best wishes. :)