You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How can I put a photo on a box in Affinity and just as the Chinese author does in AI? Thank you.

You can do this in Affinity Designer using the isometric panel and symbols, it’s not as elegant as Adobe Illustrator but works the same.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Short video to give you an idea how it works in Affinity.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Dear firstdefence

I followed your tutorial video, I encountered  some problems. 

1. I can't "merge" or the three sides of box so that the photo can move together.

2. I can't repeat some of your steps, so I use "try and error" to get this attached file.

3. Could you check my attached files and give me some comments, please. 

Thank you very much.

Best Regards

Wei-shan

Help me.afdesign

8 hours ago, firstdefence said:

Short video to give you an idea how it works in Affinity.

Dear firstdefence

Thank you for your wonderful video tutorial

I followed your video tutorial, I encountered  some problems. 

1. I can't "merge" or the three sides of box so that the photo can move together.

2. I can't repeat some of your steps, so I use "try and error" to get this attached file.

3. Could you check my attached files and give me some comments, please. 

Thank you very much.

Best Regards

Wei-shan

Help me.afdesign

Hi Wei, You have done very well, to get the three sides to be one, you can use Layer > Geometry > Merge Curves, once you do merge curves all but one symbol will remain and you will lose the 3D effect, you can rasterise the image instead Layer > Rasterise and that will retain the 3D effect but will be a raster (Pixel) image.

But before you do that, you need to zoom in to the corner and you will see the side panel is misaligned and needs moving down a bit but that’s not a big issue
53724031_ScreenShot2020-06-27at07_29_18.png.3849025df82058204c53be96f3fcd919.png

Second is you don’t have to take a screenshot of that image or if you do tell the screenshot app not to capture the cursor 😉
32575413_ScreenShot2020-06-27at07_33_23.png.e485bc0de962b5bd47cc82b79a7b7be1.png

The image is on Unsplash from the Stock panel View > Studio > Stock 

1919757447_ScreenShot2020-06-27at07_32_12.png.9b307922d423e28128dfb53a9ac2ad85.png

And finally, the step that appears to be missed is using the symbol for all of the box sides, you have created the symbol but not used it, the reason for using the symbol is, once you have the image that is embedded within the symbol aligned, they will move in unison if you need to adjust the position, plus it just looks cool to move the image about 😋

Help me adjusted.afdesign

487995247_ScreenShot2020-06-27at08_03_25.png.dbb7f5a1d03121349d4766201f905a8f.png