You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher freezes when Text Styles selected

Any time I select text styles, If I click  hierarchical toggle 

the program crashes every time. If I have it set to show hierarchical before opening any file, even a new blank file it will crash immediately.
If I scroll with the mouse scroll inside the text styles window, even if hierarchical is not set, It will crash immediately.
If I don't do any of the above sometimes I can try work with text styles, But I am not quite sure they are working properly.

This all means that for me I simply cant use Publisher for anything serious and I am most frustrated and miles behind my work now.
1. I am using the latest version
2. I can reproduce it like clockwork... see attached video
3. Yes it happens for a new document.
4. a. I am using
Win10 latest update on a Hp Zbook.
other details are attached.

A personal reply and a heads up on when this is likely to be sorted would really be appreciated.

• Staff

Can we all attach some crash reports so we can see what's going on?

You can find them in /Users/{username}/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/ for macOS

And %appdata%\Affinity\Publisher\1.0\CrashReports\reports for Windows

BTW.:

I have worked thru the font set installed on my system and have got rid of all type1 fonts; converted them to OTF and reinstalled the OTF - no change. Still considering that either the font list can't be loaded or there is simply a timing issue.

Florian

• Staff
16 hours ago, derrickmg said:

Here I zipped it straight after a crash.

CrashReports.zip 787 B · 0 downloads

There are no crash reports here. :(

16 hours ago, FlorianHarms said:

BTW.:

I have worked thru the font set installed on my system and have got rid of all type1 fonts; converted them to OTF and reinstalled the OTF - no change. Still considering that either the font list can't be loaded or there is simply a timing issue.

Florian

How many fonts have you got installed? 

Sorry I am not able to check on the crash dump at the moment, got a few deadlines to meet 1st, hopefully then I can try it again.

I just wanted to add that the only place it crashes is in the text styles view not in the edit popup as Florian has experienced.
So if I scroll the text styles with the mouse it will crash when I get towards the bottom, but in the exact same section under character it will not crash.
Or if I try change the hierarchical view. 
I am managing to get work done now as long as I don't do either of those 2 things.

• 1 year later...

Hello,

Today I am facing the same bug. I reopened a project from last year to continue it, when I expand the body style hierarchy, the app freezes and its memory usage constantly goes up in the task manager (from 1gb of use, it has changed to 8gb). I was going to try to attach the memory dump, but it was 6gb in size.

Update: if I uncheck "show samples" before clicking on the hierarchy it doesn't freeze, even if I enable this option later. But if i expand another hierarchy, it freezes again.

22 minutes ago, Rebecca Martinez said:

I am  having the same issue, crashing when working with text styles. I'm under deadline and freaking out--my project was nearly complete. help! What can I do?

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

Have you tried turning off the Show Samples option, as mentioned above?

image.png.deefc6bd347976bc9c15813a4381913d.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 hours ago, Rebecca Martinez said:

Walt thank you I was able to open a new document, turn off the style menu, open my project document and now I can work on it. I sure hope I can finish this 32 page magazine without further mishap. Thanks for your speedy response.

You're welcome. Thanks for confirming it worked, and good luck with your project :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1