You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Width limitation of text frames

Bug? Natural limitation? By design? Worth a feature request?

I made some graphical elements and turned them into a text frame. In every text frame I put the number 2 in Arial 7pt, vertically and horizontally centered. And there are "big" differences concerning height and width of the text frames before I get an overflow. Worst limitation has the circle, everything below 4,6 mm results in an overflow. How do I get past this limitation WITHOUT having two separate elements or converting the text to curves? In Indesign the widht / height limitation is at about 2,6 mm. I know 4,6 mm is not much, but you can do this the other way round, making circle and font bigger, but it is (for me) impossible to nearly fill the circle with a number. There are always big margins.

Attached a file for playing.

textframes.afpub

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

1 hour ago, Joachim_L said:

Bug? Natural limitation? By design? Worth a feature request?

I managed to put 2 numbers in the circle by manipulating the Positioning and Transform, Baseline in the Character Panel.

I think this should be looked at by the Serif team because clearly there is room for more text in these boxes.

Regards

textframes.afpub

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

Here is "22" centered inside the circle, using Arial 7pt Artistic Text, with a text background specified so we can see the actual space occupied by the characters:

image.png.c09f22af5cd033bb5d9c0141acef5926.png

With the space allowance for ascenders and descenders and letter-width it takes much more room than one would suspect from the letters alone (without the background highlighted). However, it still looks to me like both characters should fit comfortably.

So I agree that this is something that still needs to be explained.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 hours ago, Joachim_L said:

but it is (for me) impossible to nearly fill the circle with a number.

Is this what you mean?

biggertext.png

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.