You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AD: Unexpected results from Power Duplicate

I was playing around with a design for a poster using power duplicate, and got this odd result. My process was:

1) Move the transform point from the center of the original "eye" to the bottom.
2) Cmd + J
3) Move the duplicate to the right, align it with the original "eye", and rotate it 15º.
4) Power Duplicate until it made a circle.
5) Duplicate the circle, flip it horizontally, reduce the size and rotate it 10º.
6) Align and group the two circles, duplicate the group, reduce the new group, and power duplicate to (almost) infinity.

I thought it might have something to do with the "lens flare" on the pupil (the only raster object), but I deleted that and tried again with the same results. Anyone have any idea what's happening (or, more likely, what I'm doing wrong)?
Initial result:

EyeProblems.jpg.3e24763235606e3b152a55f807465066.jpg

Zoomed detail:

EyeProblemsZoom.jpg.797084cf1b4972e1d005f47ac23c7c15.jpg

Eye_Problems.afdesign

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019)| MacOS (Probably latest stable build)

Affinity Designer|Affinity Photo|Affinity Publisher

I believe the problem is something to do with how the white ellipse is being drawn where the Stroke no longer follows the outline of the shape, see attached video. (Note also, if you can see it, that the ellipse thumbnail in the Layers Panel has a small black ‘dot’ in the centre where what looks like the Fill doesn’t match the extents of the shape.)
Unfortunately I have no idea how this has happened, or what can be done to fix it, or stop it from happening again.

The issue I tried to highlight was that the Stroke of the ellipse was not being drawn around the edge of the ellipse, it was being drawn somewhere ‘outside’. See the video where the position of the Stroke doesn’t match the shape being dragged about (the blue outline). Also, the Fill of the ellipse doesn’t seem to ‘fill’ the whole shape according to the thumbnail in the Layers Panel.
Or, to look at it another way, the Fill may be correct while the Stroke is ‘wrong’ somehow.

4 hours ago, GarryP said:

The issue I tried to highlight was that the Stroke of the ellipse was not being drawn around the edge of the ellipse, it was being drawn somewhere ‘outside’. See the video where the position of the Stroke doesn’t match the shape being dragged about (the blue outline). Also, the Fill of the ellipse doesn’t seem to ‘fill’ the whole shape according to the thumbnail in the Layers Panel.
Or, to look at it another way, the Fill may be correct while the Stroke is ‘wrong’ somehow.

As the circle shrinks while its centre-aligned stroke remains constantly wide, the diameter of the circle eventually becomes less than the stroke thickness and so the stroke overlaps some of itself and none of the stroke is rendered in the overlap.

GarryP, Lagarto, Anon2, G13RL, thank you all very much. I would not have been able to figure out the problem, let alone the solution, myself.

Besides saying thanks for this specific problem, I want to thank you all in general for all the help and work you do contributing to this forum. Your usernames are all very familiar to me; I've bookmarked dozens of your posts for reference.

I have the Affinity workbooks and have watched all the videos, but having a squad of Graphics Sherlocks to bring our problems to is absolutely invaluable.

So, again, thank you 🙏

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019)| MacOS (Probably latest stable build)

Affinity Designer|Affinity Photo|Affinity Publisher

8 hours ago, appearsharmless said:

...a squad of Graphics Sherlocks ...

Perhaps the theme for a new Affinity t-shirt design? 🤔

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7