You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Callout Ellipse > not only limited direction but app crashing, too

• Staff

Thanks thomaso, took a bit of time but reproduced it.

Didn't seem consistent for me, but I found if I couldn't reproduce it by flipping I could just move the node around a lot and that would trigger it, it seems to go pop when calculating how the text should be wrapping.

I've passed this on

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

14 hours ago, Jon P said:

calculating how the text should be wrapping.

Good point, thank you. It appears to get calculated for the entire object area, the bubble's peak included. That might make it not only unnecessary complicated but also mislead the user with its vertical alignment text frame setting. In particular "centered" doesn't visually work well this way since the entire object height is respected to calculate the center – whereas me user would expect to get the middle for the ellipse only, never influenced by the lenghts of the 'stinger'.

Video: Different results for vertical alignment, depending on the shape details (though the ellipse is quite the same for all 3).
At 0:45 min I continuously increase the bottom intent, note the move of the text in this case.

Actually it might be more comfortable for the layout process if the bounding box would not include the target node of the object, so increasing the object height would not influence the bubbles triangle in its ratio (lengths, width).

I still wonder whether it is in purpose that the bubbles target direction is limited to the bottom edge? I noticed meanwhile even flipping doesn't help because then the text is flipped, too. So it currently appears this object type isn't meant to be used as a text frame?

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

On 6/26/2020 at 7:34 PM, thomaso said:

In particular "centered" doesn't visually work well this way since the entire object height is respected to calculate the center – whereas me user would expect to get the middle for the ellipse only, never influenced by the lenghts of the 'stinger'.

That is a good observation. My natural expectation would be as you describe.

• 11 months later...
On 6/27/2020 at 2:34 AM, thomaso said:

Good point, thank you. It appears to get calculated for the entire object area, the bubble's peak included. That might make it not only unnecessary complicated but also mislead the user with its vertical alignment text frame setting. In particular "centered" doesn't visually work well this way since the entire object height is respected to calculate the center – whereas me user would expect to get the middle for the ellipse only, never influenced by the lenghts of the 'stinger'.

Video: Different results for vertical alignment, depending on the shape details (though the ellipse is quite the same for all 3).
At 0:45 min I continuously increase the bottom intent, note the move of the text in this case.

Actually it might be more comfortable for the layout process if the bounding box would not include the target node of the object, so increasing the object height would not influence the bubbles triangle in its ratio (lengths, width).

I still wonder whether it is in purpose that the bubbles target direction is limited to the bottom edge? I noticed meanwhile even flipping doesn't help because then the text is flipped, too. So it currently appears this object type isn't meant to be used as a text frame?

I posted asking how to deal with flipped-text when the bubble is upside-down.
There are some tips I got for that here:
Text in upside-down speech bubbles? - Affinity on Desktop Questions (Mac and Windows) - Affinity | Forum (serif.com)