You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

What does Grid and Snapping Axis > Mode: Automatic mean?

Hi!

I am still a relatively new user, but am learning more and more.

I can’t find online any reference to the “Automatic” mode; what it means and what it's supposed to do. Can anyone help?

The document I’m currently working on has a 10px grid, which I assume the consequence of “Automatic”... but if so, why doesn’t the greyed information below reflect this?

If I switch to Basic, the grid in the document changes to a 64px grid. What’s that all about? Why isn’t the current grid setting (regardless of how it was determined) preserved if I click Basic?

As far as I can tell “Automatic” doesn’t do anything and doesn’t really mean anything either. It would be simpler and more intelligible if the default setting was simply “Basic” and the default setting was 10px (which I have to assume *is* the default setting for a Pixel document, since that’s what *this* Pixel document defaulted to).

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance!

Screenshot 2020-06-25 at 23.58.11.png

From the AD Grids help topic:

Grids can be automatic or fixed—the former (as default) changes the frequency of grid subdivisions as you zoom in/zoom out, the latter always keeps the grid frequency constant (irrespective of zoom level).

You may have to zoom in or out quite a bit to see the frequency change when using the Automatic mode.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Fair play. That makes sense. I can see what it’s doing now!

Maybe the concept of automatic grid would be familiar to users coming from Illustrator or another app, but I don’t have that context. The greyed out “0px” underneath doesn’t help to explain the meaning, unfortunately — indeed, it looks like a bug, since a grid at 0px just doesn’t compute.

Anyway, thank you for explaining it to the newbie. :)