You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Nothing shows up under any Brushes

I'm using Affinity Photo v1.8.3 and I'm looking in the Brushes area in the top right.

The instructor in the class I'm taking (it was recorded a few years ago, and he's using v1.6.x on a Mac) has a  Brushes area that has a bunch of stuff in it (e.g. a bunch of different Textures are displayed below the select box that has 'Textures' as one of its options).   Here's what it looks like:

good-brushes.png.dccb3eff7b7515a5c682f0b23f23f995.png

In my APhoto, I do get the Brushes select box, and it has more or less the same options in it as the instructor's screen.   However, no matter what option I select, the area below the select box remains blank.  Weirdly, the scrollbar on the right side of that pane indicates that there's more than one pane's height worth of stuff in the pane, and if I click in the pane, a (blank) row is selected, though it doesn't seem to do anything to the Paint Brush that I'm using, no matter which of those phantom rows is selected.  Here's what that looks like:

my-brushes.png.2840860d09edfa881ae2e3081a2cb6cb.png

Needless to say, I'm having trouble following the class as I don't have any brushes but the instructor does.  And APhoto is acting like I have some in the list, but just not displaying them to me.

• Staff

Hey kylehumfeld,

I'm not really sure what's happening there—if you double-click can you open the brush editor?

It might be worth performing a safe reset on the app. Can you do the following please:

Purchased from the Affinity Store - Go to %AppData%\Affinity\Photo\1.0 and rename 1.0 to 1.1

or 

Purchased from the Microsoft Store - Go to %AppData%\Affinity\Photo\1.0 (Store) and rename 1.0 to 1.1

You can access the AppData folder by pressing the Windows key + R on your keyboard and then just type %AppData%

Hi Chris, thanks for the reply.  Here's what happens if I double-click on the phantom brush row:

brush-editor.png.23725c54aaa679e659071c5a35636742.png

I tried the 'safe reset' thing you mentioned, and now the Brushes dropdown is completely empty:

no-brush-options.png.1ca301e3db808a9a5e75451286566dd0.png

I... honestly didn't expect that.  😃  Any other ideas?

Hi Kylehumfeld,

I've got the latest photo beta [1.8.4.665] but had no problems with brushes in earlier versions either. Perhaps a reset on the app by holding down the CTRL key on Windows machine whilst loadikng the app.  After a few seconds a screen will appear.   743089299_Affinityphotoreset.PNG.dafdad049fd3e3da7d4800294d2f3d03.PNG

I would suggest you clear the top two checkboxes and select Reset brushes before clicking on the Clear button. Affinity Photo will then restart.

Don't forget that the latest beta [1.8.4.665] is available and I would strongly recommend you download that if the above does not work

Good luck

Pman [keen amateur user]

Thanks, Pman!

I did that, and the brushes came back.  Since I don't like running beta software, though, I thought that reinstalling the release version (1.8.3) might work, so I did a full uninstall and reinstall, and that got my brushes to appear. 

Thanks to you both for your help!