You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Dear Affinity community,

I have a mystery that maybe one of you might help me to resolve !

I need to print a black and white vector drawing on a booklet. I made it with multiple black and white shapes or lines with Affinity Designer.

When I print it directly from Affinity Designer (with file > print) it looks great : the vector lines look very sharp and the white color from my design is replaced by the color of my printing paper : this is exactly what I want ! I don't even have to export it first !

The problem comes with Affinity Publisher. When I insert this drawing in my composition (with file > insert) in order to illustrate my booklet ; I can't print it in the same way.

• Either my outlines look pixelized (like a low resolution .jpg file)
  • Or my white color appear slightly different from the color of my printing paper (a very light grey) and I dont want that. I just want it to be transparent and replaced by the white color of my printing paper.

Trust me, I tried every solution I could find on the internet to fix these problems (different export format, bend options,  "erase white paper" option...) and nothing works. If anybody has a solution I would be very grateful for your help !

Thanks, in advance !

All the best,

Lanval

Hi Lanval,
Welcome to the Affinity forums!

As a first guess differing document color spaces come to my mind. If it doesn't help to adjust them, can you upload your .afpup + .afdesign?
(the illu possibly just partially)

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Hello thomaso, thank you for your quick answer !

You resolved one aspect of my problem. There was a difference between the color space of my Affinity Designer document (In RGB) and in my Affinity Publisher document (in CMYK) this is the reason why the white color was not the same when printed from Designer or from Publisher.

Now the second aspect of my problem is still theremy outlines look pixelized (like a low resolution .jpg file) in Affinity Publisher and they don't, in Affinity Designer.

Here I attached two printing tests : one with Designer and the second with Publisher. If I print them with file > print, the result looks totally different in each case.

Maybe I am missing a point ?

Thanks again !

Lanval

TESTPRINTDESIGNER.afdesign TESTPRINTPUBLISHER.afpub

I am sorry I can't detect or solve the issue of different print results. The print options in Affinity appears someway limited and not transparent concerning what internally is going on & gets send to a printer.

I did not print your files but used print-to-PDF to inspect the results. The .afpub seems to be printed as 1 pixel image at 300 dpi – whereas the .afdesign is mainly paths (with the striped square as image) according to the Acrobat object inspector. Your used RGB black seems to have the same color values in both printed versions. So concerning colors (paper white and black) I don't see a difference.

I have no idea why APub prints the entire content as 1 rasterized image – whereas AD maintains vector, for identical content. That's indeed a weird occurrence.
I wonder whether the embedded .afdesign inside .afpub does any harm and force a rasterized output in APub, maybe copy/pasting the objects might be worth a trial, or placing an exported PDF instead of the .afdesign.

I usually avoid printing from Affinity but export as PDF to print this instead, e.g. with Acrobat. Note that Acrobat can use its own color handling and therefore may cause different results than Affinity. In the forum quite a few unexpected print results were reported, several users suffer in the unclear procedure when printing from Affinity.

I can place to Publisher and have vector output in PDF. Only part pixelized is the stripe fill in lower left square. Do not know what happens with print command.. it does not work in this system.

> vector output in PDF

With print-to-PDF? To me it doesn't make a difference whether I open or place this .afdesign in APub, for both ways an exported PDF maintains vector as expected while in a print-to-PDF the entire content gets rasterized by APub. (but is maintained when opened in AD)

Thanks to you I have a solution !

• First, you definitely need to check that you work with the same color space settings, both in Affinity Designer and in Affinity Publisher, or else the colors won't appear the same when you print your document.
  • Second, when you want to insert a vector drawing made with Affinity Designer inside an Affinity Publisher document, the best solution is to group all the curves and/or shapes of your vector drawing in Affinity Designer, then copy this group and paste it into your Affinity Publisher document. This is the only way to keep your illustration vectorized. If you use the place image tool, or file > place in Affinity Publisher, your vector drawing will look rasterized.

I made different tests with my black and white laser printer and I can tell this works.

That's too bad the image tool, or file > place doesn't work very well with vector designs, but you have come up with a great workaround !

Thank you very much for you help !

Lanval

26 minutes ago, Lanval said:

Second, when you want to insert a vector drawing made with Affinity Designer inside an Affinity Publisher document, the best solution is to group all the curves and/or shapes of your vector drawing in Affinity Designer, then copy this group and paste it into your Affinity Publisher document.

I think there is a third option (with advantages towards your second):

• Export from AD as PDF
  • Place the PDF as linked resource in APub

This way changes done in the .afdesign can get transferred to the .afpub 'simply' by updating the export.
Also, a copy/paste of AD objects into APub may risk again unwanted modification caused by the compatibility you already experienced with your previous method of placing/opening/embedding the .afdesign inside the .afpub.