You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Installing language and hyphenation libraries on Mac osx

I want to use Dutch hyphenation / language check in Publisher using Mac OsX Mojave, I've been searching the forum on tips, but still haven't found any solution on installing the language libraries. I've noticed there are many requests on this item, so I think Affinity should REALLY address this issue with a simple install.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

This FAQ article should help:

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 5 months later...
52 minutes ago, Christian R said:

In the past it did work. But for a month ago, my dutch hyphenation doesn't work any longer, although the spelling files are in the right folders on my system. Anyone any idea? Has it anything to do with te latest update of AP?

If you're using Publisher, have you verified that all the right files are in the right directories as shown in the FAQ above?

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

From what I can tell that seems right, but not being a Mac user I can't verify it.

Next: can you provide a screenshot showing the Paragraph panel Spelling Language pulldown? And the Language and Hyphenation settings while the cursor is in a paragraph where you think it should be working?

And one showing the Hyphenation Language pulldown in the Character panel.

-- Walt
PC:

13 minutes ago, Christian R said:

In the Character panel I don't see 'Nederlands' as an option for 'Hyphenation Language'...

In my experience, Character Studio reflects what languages have been activated in the macOS system preferences for spelling. The settings below are in the macOS System PreferencesKeyboard pane, Text tab (yes, it's pretty hidden). Once you get to that Text tab, go to the Spelling: dropdown, and at the bottom of the dropdown will be Set Up…. That brings you to this screen:

653963575_ScreenShot2020-08-10at8_39_54AM.png.37f3ab2da224d65afd03b3627b27a475.png

With the settings I have above, Publisher only offers me the choice of "English" and "Français." If I check more options in that macOS spelling preference, Publisher updates accordingly.

4 hours ago, Christian R said:

Interesting and I see, but in Publisher it won't make any difference. (un)Marking a language, indeed is showing/hiding that language in Publisher. The problem is that when I do have set everything  to Dutch (Nederlands) the magic of hyphenation not appears...

Just a guess, but you might try renaming that nl-NL dictionary in your screenshot to nl_NL and restarting the application.

-- Walt
PC:

• 3 years later...
1 hour ago, Nick1984 said:

Unfortunately, with all the tips, I still can't get it broken on Dutch text. Is there anyone who can help me with this?

Hi and welcome to the forums. You can find instructions in the FAQ below or in the free manual I've written for Publisher 2 (the download link is in my signature). You've posted in the v1 forum so note that both of these are for v2 and not v1 but installing dictionaries is unchanged. Cheers

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

Hello Mike,

Thanks for the quick reply. I followed the instructions via the link you provided. Unfortunately, it still doesn't work  :)  I think I'm almost there, but I think I'm still missing a step. See picture below. Greetings Nick 

image.jpeg.8351f51fa2f4488132c8d1a031c6b9f4.jpegimage.jpeg.4d17fac374f61219da7a601a6c5a5f80.jpeg

2 hours ago, Nick1984 said:

I followed the instructions via the link you provided

If you downloaded the file(s) directly from GitHub you may have downloaded them in the wrong format. It's quite easy to get it wrong, and difficult to get it right. For that reason, Serif provided direct download links in another post in the FAQ topic, and you should download from there instead.

To see if the files are correct, open each in a text editor, and see if you have plain text or HTML code. If it's HTML code, it's wrong and needs to be replaced.

-- Walt
PC:

Also, did you turn on Auto Hyphenation in the Paragraph panel?

I tested a few words and found that be-schei-den should hyphenate as shown here when Auto Hyphenation is selected.

BTW there's no need to choose Nederlands from the Hyphenation list in Character > Language, you can just leave it on Auto.

Cheers

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)