You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Control click not working with node tool

Hi, I'm using Designer on a Windows 10 laptop with graphics tablet and control click doesn't seem to do anything. 

This is what I'm doing:

1. Draw a line with the pen tool.
2. Select node tool, click in centre of the line I drew.
3. Still with node tool, hold down control and click on the centre point of the line. 

Doing this should bring up two small vertical lines either side of the centre point and then dragging on the centre point should produce a smooth curve. But control clicking makes no difference at all, using either my laptop trackpad or my graphics pen. So when I drag up the centre point I just get a sharp point, not a curve. I've got round this using the "convert to curves" button, but I also run into problems when using control click for other things, like dragging on line handles. Holding control should expand them by the same amount either side of the centre, but of course it's as though I'm not holding down control and one side of the line extends while the other doesn't. 

I've checked the keyboard shortcuts for the node tool (see image)

I'm in the Pixel persona. Is there something obvious I'm doing wrong..? I used Serif Page Plus / Publisher for many years but I'm new to Affinity. 

Many thanks for your help. 

PS I was trying to follow the tutorial in this video: https://youtu.be/DaDtLXwufNs?t=224

002.jpg

Edited by Pixelated
Added screenshot

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi Pixelated,

Welcome to the forums :)

Please could you try (With the Node Tool Selected) Hold right click away from the Node you want to convert (Your right click menu may appear just ignore it). Then with Right click still held left click the node you would like to convert into a sharp node. You can also do this while holding CTRL with the Pen Tool as that switches it to the Node Tool.

Thanks

Callum

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you, @Callum

I solved it in the end by going into my graphics tablet settings - here are my notes:

In Pentablet Settings:

• Pentablet pressure has to be on DEFAULT

• Windows Ink has to be OFF.

Then you get square nodes instead of circles when draw in Pen tool (Pen mode) AND are able to click on a line drawn by Pen and get another node.

HOWEVER with these settings I can no longer get pressure-reactive brush strokes in Pixel Persona - will need to fiddle with settings again for that, I suspect.