You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Relink pictures after moving them to a different location

Hi all,

i created a publisher-document with a lot of linked images. After that, i need to move the folder, that contains the pictures to another location. In this case from an external drive to a local drive. The pictures are now displayed as missing. I want to avoid to relink every single picture. Is there a possibility to relink to the new folder?

Thanks very much in advance!
Joern

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums, @Joern Schulz.

When you reopen the Publisher document after you've moved the image folder, you should get a popup dialog offering to let you locate the missing images, and giving you 3 choices: Yes, No, or Resource Manager. If you respond Yes, and then navigate in the resulting dialog to the new folder, Publisher will find and relink all the missing files that are in that folder. That will not work if you respond Resource Manager.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

You may also want to look at the Collect button in the Resource Manager which will copy all selected linked files to a new Folder and relink them automatically

Very handy if your existing Linked files are scattered around in different Folders and you are looking to tidy up your resource files or if you need to package your project to send somewhere else.

The Collect function will also (if selected) copy your Embedded files to the new Folder and change them to Linked files.

Not sure if that is the intended behaviour. (???)

So, if you also have embedded files in your document be sure not to select them if you don't want them changed from embedded to linked files when using Collect 

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• 3 months later...
33 minutes ago, Kurfuerst said:

Sorry, walt.farrells way does not work. The program still asks you for every single file. Is there a possibility to "search in this folder" analogue to Indesign?

Are you sure you answered "Yes" when prompted when you Opened the document?

It won't work if you answer "Resource Manager".

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

• 3 months later...
22 minutes ago, LEB said:

One could also imagine a different behaviour of the Ressource Manager which would relink all files in the same folder, and not pictures one by one.

One certainly could.

If it hasn't been suggested yet in the Feature Requests forum perhaps you could suggest it.

-- Walt
PC:

• 1 month later...

I had the same problem today after I had moved several folders to a new project folder.

This method from walt farrel solved the problem:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/92418-feature-request-relink-resources/&do=findComment&comment=490577

Thanks a ton Walt!

hobbyists discuss new camera features

photographers discuss new software

masters discuss light