You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Export w/resize issue

An issue that makes all my work a bit invalid, since it affects final outcome of the image. Compressed here for simplicity

1. Create a new image, something large like 3000x3000

2. White background

3. Add a pixel layer, use a fine brush to add some particles/spots

4. Add a Lens Blur layer to that pixel layer, set radius to something largish (ie. 12px)

5. Export image w/resize, like 2048px on longer edge. (using export persona)

6. Group all layers and merge visible

7. Disable the group of layers (so only new merged layer is visible)

8. Export again, you can see they are different. Superimposing export results and setting blend mode to difference, clearly shows it's not the same .

This is a really bad bug, since it's changes the result of my work depending if I have merged some layers or not. This should not be happening.

Attached is example image and result of both exports.

background.jpg

background_2.jpg

merge_issue.afphoto

"I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK, I sleep all night, and I work all day..."

• 1 month later...
36 minutes ago, TEcHNOpls said:

Hi, new release was done, but I can't see any mentions of a fix for this issue. It's such a long runner too (at least one year, or maybe two).

Judging by the lack of response, nobody at Serif even read your message, I'm afraid.

The explanation is that when you export a layered document at other than 100% scale, each object/layer is individually resized and then these resized objects/layers are composited. 

When your blur filter has not been pre-merged with an object prior to exporting, the blur radius remains at 12 px but the blur gets applied to an object whose size will differ at different export scales, thus changing the appearance of the blur.

There are a couple of workarounds when exporting at other than 100% :

• export at 100% and then resize the exported image, or
  • flatten the entire full scale document before exporting at a different scale, but be careful to not overwrite the layered document with the flattened document, of course, if there is any possibility that you will need to use the layered document in the future.

Let us put it in plain text: This is not a bug, it is the correct behavior of a program told to do what it does.

Resizing a multi-layered document is a further step in processing the complex image structure. It changes the relation between Image / pixel sizes and parameters, as described.

If everything is frozen into a final flat output file, resizing can be done without the described effect.

I assume you're trying to be a devils advocate of sorts.

Anyway, no, this is exactly not how this should ever work. First, it introduces artefacts when exporting, second, it does not behave in a WYSWIG fashion. There is no way this is not a bug.

2 hours ago, TEcHNOpls said:

There is no way this is not a bug.

If it is a bug, and if it is a long-standing one as you indicated:

• When and where did you first report it? (I can't find anything for this one, from you, before the first post in this thread.)
  • Have you reported it in the Bugs forum (rather than the beta)? If it's long-standing then probably it was not new with the current beta, and so is better placed in the regular Bugs forum. (Of course, you'd want to verify it also fails on the retail version, but I expect it will.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I belive I firrst logged it somewhere between November 2018 - February 2019. It's probably lost by now in pre 1.8.x bug since I can't find that old topics.

Here's a follow-up of the same issue:

Thanks.

Stuff in "Pre-1.8 bugs" aren't lost, by the way. They're all there in one of the "Pre-1.8 Bugs" subforums under the respective Bugs forum. For example, Pre-1.8 Photo Bugs Found on Windows.

(Of course if they weren't reported as bugs, but just as a beta issue, they would be in the "Pre-1.8 Beta archive" subforums under the respective Beta forum.)

And you can always find your own posts, wherever they are, by clicking on your username or icon, or using the forum Search and qualifying it by the username who posted. My problem in finding it was that those earlier posts didn't mention Lens Blur; they were more general, and were logged that way.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I belie it's the same issue with halos and with lens blur. They stem from the same cause, that is wrong order for resizing (resize-then-merge as oppose to merge-then-resize).
I checked "content I started" but it seems to have failed me and failed to load older topics.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.