You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

3 minutes ago, Christoph Müller said:

Hmmm.. In my case it works now. The link before was also a Access denied for me. Maybe try entering the url:

https://www.pica-marker.com/de/turnjsmagazine/pica-katalog

I still get a 403 access denied error when I try to download that file.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Whatever the reason, I waited over five minutes and none of the users attached video play on my end. This normally is not a problem.  R C-R was able to open,

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

6 hours ago, Christoph Müller said:

Here is the original of the photo. The vector file I can't upload, because of licensing. But I search for an other vector file, that is complex that I can post here.

It is unbelievable to me, how someone can work and edit those complex vector art graphics Serif sometimes posts on their Instagram or Facebook channel.

IMG_2269.jpeg

Using this picture and the the stop watch app on my iPhone. I highlighted the area and started the store watch as soon as I released the mouse button. It took 2.8 seconds to complete. Same task in Photoshop took 1.2 seconds. 

59 minutes ago, Christoph Müller said:

Whats going on?

Just guessing but it could be because you have installed some third party software that in some way alters how the Affinity apps interact with the  macOS API's that do the 'heavy lifting' when you use some of the Affinity tools.

Figuring out what items could do that can be maddeningly difficult, but a clue might be what appears on the right side of the Mac menu bar -- anything appearing there that does not come from Apple is a potential suspect.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Hello it seems inpainting is not a very well multithreaded tool. I tried your picture in my system too that by comparison it pales with that xeon of yours and I got 40% CPU usage at best. Keeping in mind that my CPU is not true 8 core but 4 with hyperthreading, I guess I barely used 2 cores with hyperthreading, that is not even 2 cores at full potential.

This may explain why the i9 is faster, as you can see here he is better in single core performance and one of the reason the maxed out iMac was a better deal than iMac Pro for 2D graphics.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-Xeon-W-2150B-vs-Intel-i9-9900K-vs-AMD-FX-8350-Eight-Core/3162vs3334vs1780

Now for the weird part, I tried the second action you did and I noticed CPU usage up to 80% and it happened match faster.

Also tried an old version of photoshop that I had around with the healing tool with content aware that I think is the comparable tool we are looking for, and it happened instantly while using 25% of CPU. Not exactly apple to apples comparison since I don't know how each tool work, but...

I don't think there is anything to blame in your machine, it seems that this specific tool is just slow. As for not seeing a specific core to full up, I guess this is a byproduct of grand central dispatch of OSX that try to distribute workloads in more cores, but probably in a situation like this just make it seem every core just do a small bit of work. (I noticed the same with windows machines).

What troubles me is the results reported by @R C-R, R C-R can you be more specific with the model? Maybe you have strong single core performance that is not that behind from the i9 and xeon? I mean intel lately is strangling a bit with improving that and they just add more cores, which is not beneficial if a program is not using them.

As for the PDF strangle it's to be expected, this is why publisher exists. Designer can handle some DTP but not a catalog that big. (in illustrator is even worse than that)

Current Workstation:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5500 - MOBO: Asus B450 - RAM: 16GB DDR4 2667Mhz - GPU: AMD Radeon 7850 1GB
NVMe SSD: Crusial P3 1TB M.2 -  SSD: Samsung Evo 850 256GB  - PSU: XFX TS450 - OS: Win10

1 minute ago, nitro912gr said:

What troubles me is the results reported by @R C-R, R C-R can you be more specific with the model?

It is all there in my sig except for the HDD specs but if you need more specifics, try doing a web search on the Model Identifier iMac13,2, the Model Number A1419, or Order Number MD095LL/A.

Also, MacTracker is a good source of info for things like that.

Affinity Photo 

oh that's right I didn't noticed, so you have an i5 3470, that sure make things odd here. The performance of that model is not anything great for today.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-Xeon-W-2150B-vs-Intel-i9-9900K-vs-Intel-i5-3470/3162vs3334vs822

So weird... I will try me second PC in the office where I have an i5 3570 that is supposed to be faster than yours and see the results.

edit: I'm back with the results, about 19s at the 3570 which seems in line with the 14s of 3470 given any platform differences between windows and osx and program code.

Maybe I should make this system my main :P but this is weird difference between that i5s and the xeon, especially given how much faster is the single core performance of xeon and i9, maybe some latest macOS version is to blame here?

edit2:

So now I'm confused... I noticed I had a smaller brush size in my first testi with the AMD 8350 that is the slower single thread here in this post, so I corrected it to the 270px of the video and got a 20s time while the CPU jumped to 80% at start before returning to 40% till the operation complete. The really weird part is I change the brush from the i5 too only to get worst performance this time... at 24s.

Those results are very weird given each CPUs single core performance.

Edited by nitro912gr
back with the results

Current Workstation:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5500 - MOBO: Asus B450 - RAM: 16GB DDR4 2667Mhz - GPU: AMD Radeon 7850 1GB
NVMe SSD: Crusial P3 1TB M.2 -  SSD: Samsung Evo 850 256GB  - PSU: XFX TS450 - OS: Win10

5 hours ago, R C-R said:

Just guessing but it could be because you have installed some third party software that in some way alters how the Affinity apps interact with the  macOS API's that do the 'heavy lifting' when you use some of the Affinity tools.

Figuring out what items could do that can be maddeningly difficult, but a clue might be what appears on the right side of the Mac menu bar -- anything appearing there that does not come from Apple is a potential suspect.

I am relatively default macOS. The only software that hooks a bit more into the system is VMWare Fusion and Wacom Table Driver.

But I also went through completely reinstalling macOS and the first thing I tried before installing any other stuff was testing Affinity Photo and it did not make any difference in performance.

Maybe some Serif employee could say something about this?
What would be the best Apple machine for Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer?

16 hours ago, Christoph Müller said:

I don't know why so many can't see the videos. The first is 13s the second 25s long. I can play back both here in the forum... Maybe its the format? It was recorded with the macOS build in screen recording. It's H.264. 

Quicktime packs its H264 compressed screenvideos into the Apple container format ".mov". This is known to cause issues in the forum e.g. for windows users who haven't Apple QuickTime installed. Also quicktime .movs are uneccessary large files. I use the free "VLC media player" app to re-compress this qt movies, so they get packed as .m4v and are a lot smaller.

Concerning your speed issues I think it is (also) related to your graphic card (GPU) not in particular to RAM or CPU (though an iMac from ~2019 sounds new enough to handle this).

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

4 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Concerning your speed issues I think it is (also) related to your graphic card (GPU) not in particular to RAM or CPU (though an iMac from ~2019 sounds new enough to handle this).

In the first post of the discussion, he said his iMac Pro is fitted with a Radeon Pro Vega 64X 16 GB GPU. It is a very powerful GPU.

Affinity Photo 

14 hours ago, Christoph Müller said:

Open this in Affinity Designer and in the Import-Dialog that pops up let everything default and choose "Open". Than select all artboards and try to move them around.

macbookpro11,5 (mid 2015). Such a page move action appears to demand CPU and GPU quite much, according to the diagrams to the left (Activity Monitor: cmd-3, cmd-4) (p.s.: this clip had initially as Quicktime .mov 51 MB, in VLC recompressed 7,8 MB)

Can you improve your experience if you boot as a different, possibly 'virgin' user? (to avoid any 3rd party tasks running)

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

As far as I know affinity is not using the GPU yet for computation, only for displaying what we see.

Current Workstation:

18 minutes ago, nitro912gr said:

As far as I know affinity is not using the GPU yet for computation, only for displaying what we see.

I think that (currently) only applies to the Windows version not MACs that support Affinity's implementation of GPU computation

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

1 minute ago, carl123 said:

I think that (currently) only applies to the Windows version not MACs that support Affinity's implementation of GPU computation

Unfortunately I can't confirm, I have turned my macbook into a windows laptop lately.

That in turn could make me wonder however why on windows isn't implemented.

Current Workstation:

8 minutes ago, nitro912gr said:

That in turn could make me wonder however why on windows isn't implemented.

From what the staff have said, the gist of it is the developers are working on adding GPU hardware acceleration to the Windows version, but because there are many more GPU's they have to support on Windows than on Macs, it is taking much longer to to do that.

Also note that GPU hardware acceleration is not supported on all Macs, only those using GPU's that support certain features of Apple's Metal API. I don't know much about that, other than that the GPU in my old iMac is not supported. 😢

Affinity Photo