big smile

Publisher on Mac is Super slow, plus massive PersonaBackstore.dat file

Since this afternoon, Publisher on my Mac has become super slow. Files that opened in seconds in the morning now take over 8 minutes to open. I have made no changes to the file.

Even scrolling through pages or clicking on menus is super laggy, sometimes take as much as 10 seconds for things to appear. 

Worse still, a file called PersonaBackstore.dat has appeared in /private/var/folders/ft/vkmjt26n273b2rf21tg10_180000gn/T/Affinity Publisher/

It is currently 61.39 GB and growing.

What should I do? Should I uninstall and reinstall publisher?

Set up:

Publisher: 1.8.3

Mac OS: 10.14.6 

I did a reinstall. It was fine for an hour, but now it's back to this again. 

I've read about PersonaBackstore.dat. It's for storing things that there isn't room in RAM for. But all my various documents are mostly text. Also, I have 16GB of RAM and 10GB is shown as free, so I am not sure why Affinity is using PersonaBackstore.dat. 

Hi Big Smile,

Please could you go into the apps preferences and send me a screenshot of the entire performance tab? This will allow me to look into this further.

Thanks

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

On 7/9/2020 at 2:23 PM, Callum said:

Hi Big Smile,

Please could you go into the apps preferences and send me a screenshot of the entire performance tab? This will allow me to look into this further.

Thanks

In the end, I was getting close to a deadline, so I just remade the problem document and that seems to have fixed the PersonaBackstore.dat. However, I still find Publisher to be slugish, which it wasn't previously.

Here is the performance tab:

239834691_ScreenShot2020-07-11at15_46_40.jpg.a9034fba258d2bd7cef78b6ea5c297d8.jpg

52 minutes ago, Que said:

Does anyone know if you can delete the Personabackstore.dat file?

If you are on mac: This file is not stored in your user library folder but in an invisible folder (private/var/...) and therefore a tricky place.
https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/176371/can-i-delete-files-or-folders-from-private-var-folders

Instead you could check the Affinity folder inside your user library:
~/Library/Application Support/Affinity Publisher/

There you might look into the folders "autosave" and "temp". With APub closed you can delete their content. I once found a lost, older file in "autosave" which appeared to cause APub to crash when launching.

macOS 10.14.6, Macbook Pro Retina 15" + Eizo 24", Affinity in Separated Mode (documents merged)