You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AP Focus Merge: Is it normal for transparent background and cropped image?

Hi all,

Yesterday I tried my first shot at doing a focus merge.  The image had a couple of central images that were on top of plexiglass shot from above. The Plexiglas was on top of black cloth but the background didn't come out perfectly black, there were some light reflections on part of it.

I had about 5 images.

I brought them in for focus merge and the objects appeared to be pretty well merged, BUT....when I started to do a bit of clean up, trying to clone stamp or in paint brush...I noticed that what it copied over was much darker than the area I was on....

I checked for current and below layers, etc.

Then I found that the upper part of the image, where it was lighter than the bottom was actually partially transparent!??!

I put a full black layer underneath and sure enough it darkened up the transparent parts of the focus merged later. I could then inpaint and clone to my hearts delight.

I next found that my image was NOT the same size as the images I brought in...it seemed the workspace as well as the image itself was cropped significantly from the size of the source images brought it.

Is this normal for these to occur? Do I have something set wrong?

I've done this in PS, etc...and the workspace is the same as the source images...sure when it has to align there may be parts of the image that are here and there and I usually have to manually crop a bit, do to changing the focus etc.....but I've never seen an application do this.

And the crop was almost from 3:2 to 1:1 when the app did it...I went from rectangular to square almost.

And I still can figure out why the resultant focus merge had semi-transparent parts?

Thanks in advance,

Cayenne

Could you post the five images that you are trying to merge so that we can try them on our own systems?

On 6/24/2020 at 5:33 PM, cayenne said:

And I still can figure out why the resultant focus merge had semi-transparent parts?

Do you mean that, or did you mean

On 6/24/2020 at 5:33 PM, cayenne said:

And I still cannot figure out why the resultant focus merge had semi-transparent parts?

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

On 6/25/2020 at 12:24 PM, John Rostron said:

Could you post the five images that you are trying to merge so that we can try them on our own systems?

Do you mean that, or did you mean

John

I meant the latter....

I can't post those images, but, I will try a different test focus stack, shot in the same setting and see if I can reproduce it, and if so, I'll post that.

Thank you,

C