You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Customer Beta (1.3.4.26925)

• Staff

Purpose: Features / Improvements / Fixes 

Requirements: Purchased Affinity Photo

Mac App Store: Not Submitted

Download: Here

To use this beta, simply download the file from the link given above and double-click on the file to open the installer. Follow the instructions to install the beta version. The beta sits alongside the Mac App Store version and will not interfere with it.

We are considering releasing an update to the Mac App Store in order to resolve the most commonly found issues and also to address compatibility problems with OS X El Capitan Beta, so the list of changes this week is small while we ensure product stability at this point.

- Improved zoom-dragging in the Zoom Tool and when Command+Space is held

- Fix for Hand Tool not working in the Develop Persona

- Fix for closing a window while in full screen mode not causing the application to exit full screen mode

- Fix for intermittent issues encountered when saving Undo history with the document

- Miscellaneous translation improvements

You know what I find funny? A 185MB .dmg becomes a 640MB application. That's some damn magical compression. I noticed that the Contents/Frameworks folder is responsible for over 400MB of Affinity Photo's size, and that liblibpersona is the main offender (308MB).

Makes me wonder: Would it be possible for you to turn this into a 185MB application by compressing the installation and making it decompress itself on-load? That would speed up load-times significantly on mechanical (non-SSD) hard drives, which usually have a read speed of ~80MB/second (so reading 640MB=8 seconds). You could cut several seconds of load time if it loaded compressed data from disk, did a rapid decompression in memory and sailed on happily ever after from there. Having to only load 185MB=2.3 seconds.

May not be possible to compress dylibs though...

Thank you for this beta.

However, downloading it turned out to be quite hectic this morning. Numerous connection drops, URL not found errors, etc...

Could something be wrong with the AWS servers?

Just thought I'd let you know.

Will the next release bring back the rotation tool in develop persona? The software is unusable without this - and could also enjoy several improvements in raw file handling too (see several posts in the forum here).

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the alert. I've been waiting for 1.3.5 in the app store and last checked for it yesterday.

Here is the announcement in english (see attachment).

1.3.5 includes all beta improvements (including this beta) PLUS some things that were fixed after this beta. So it's currently the most advanced version available... until the next beta. ;)

Here is an example of a bug in this beta that is fixed in 1.3.5 MAS:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/12271-ap-beta-13426925-crashes-every-time-from-compound-paths/?p=53125

post-13196-0-81047000-1440000777_thumb.png

You may have updated the AppStore versions to 1.3.5 today and these versions are now ahead of the betas and the betas won't recognise then any longer so you have to use the updated MAS (Mac App Store) version. :)

• Staff

Hi mquinnv,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Is it crashing with a specific PNG file or with any PNG file you try to open?

If it's with a specific PNG can you post it here (or send me a link to it trough a PM as you prefer) ) so i can check it out?

All files will be deleted after being inspected.

Thanks

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.