You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Inpainting tools don't work at all suddenly

Im the Affinity user who love to use 'Inpaiting tool'
suddenly this tool don't work even I try to use it same. 

when I brush some point on the backgound image, nothing happened. (I checked Opacity, Flow, Hardness 100%)

how can I slove this problem??

Hi and welcome to the forums @Kian Kim,

You may be trying this on an {image) layer instead of a(Pixel) layer. Or you may not have a pixel layer selected, check your layers panel.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, I am having the exact same problem. The  'Inpaiting tool' tool just stopped working from one day to another. I have not changed anything at all, i tried restarting the software multiple times, clicking all the reset buttons in the preferences panel. 

I checked that the layer is selected and i also check that it is an pixel layer (i even clicked on 'Rasterise...', just to make sure), but it still does not work.

I am running version 1.8.3 on macOS Catalina 10.15.5

1 hour ago, Lolwis111 said:

I checked that the layer is selected and i also check that it is an pixel layer (i even clicked on 'Rasterise...', just to make sure), but it still does not work.

Make sure in the context toolbar that neither the brush Opacity nor Flow somehow got set to zero & that the brush Width & Hardness are large enough that you can easily see the results.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

20 minutes ago, Lolwis111 said:

But no visible effect appears on the image.

Is this just one particular image or have you tried on others?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

I tried multiple images including tifs, pngs and jpgs. Also different sizes of images, but none of them work. 

I probably just changed some tiny stetting by accident, because a few days ago it was working just fine, but i can't find which one it would be. I checked all the things people recommend when this tool doesn't work (select the layer, make sure its a pixel layer, flow greater 0 and so on). 

Ok, can you upload a full size screenshot showing the layers panel and the Inpainting tool selected

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

A screen capture of the tools/layers panel and the image may help.

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

These are not my own words but I sure like this quote.

Make sure you selected a regular brush.

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

Why are there two inpainting brushes in the tools panel?

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

Just now, AffinityJules said:

Why are there two inpainting brushes in the tools panel?

That’s what happens if you’ve customized the tools so that you have a separate Inpainting Brush Tool icon in addition to the original one which is grouped with other brush tools.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

2 minutes ago, Alfred said:

That’s what happens if you’ve customized the tools so that you have a separate Inpainting Brush Tool icon in addition to the original one which is grouped with other brush tools.

That's a new one on me!

The thing to know now is whether or not they BOTH work?

3 minutes ago, AffinityJules said:

The thing to know now is whether or not they BOTH work?

They should do, as far as I’m aware!

Alfred spacer.png

Very strange! Two things:

1) I can get Affinity Photo to act like this if I open an image, un-check all the editing abilities (the "pencil" icons) in the Channels panel, and then try to use the Inpainting tool. I don't know why the photo would open without the ability to edit the red, green, and blue channels. But, can we see a screenshot of your Channels panel?

2) If all else fails, quit AP and then re-open it with the Control key held down. This will reset the app, and might help. A last ditch method, and without much nuance, but sometimes it's the only thing that corrects a really weirdo problem like this. It will also get rid of custom brushes, swatches, and so forth so make sure you back them up.

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

53 minutes ago, JimmyJack said:

Set your accumulation in the More panel to 100% (... or at least a bunch higher).

Good point. Apparently this value must be 50% or above to make any calculation start at all.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

7 hours ago, thomaso said:
8 hours ago, JimmyJack said:

Set your accumulation in the More panel to 100% (... or at least a bunch higher).

Good point. Apparently this value must be 50% or above to make any calculation start at all.

I wonder if this is a bug or the intended behavior?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

30 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I wonder if this is a bug or the intended behavior?

Good point, as somebody famous once said.

Alfred spacer.png

8 hours ago, thomaso said:

Yep! This one solved it! Not sure why i changed it in the first place, can this happen accidentally? Is there a shortcut or something?

Anyway, i put it on 100% now and it works again! Also the red-brush-mask thing has a much stronger red now.

Thanks everyone for your help! Appreciate it!

Edited by Lolwis111