You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer - Pattern problem

Hello,

I tried to create a pattern in Designer and used a rectangle as a "reference" which I then copied on my A5 sheet. But for some reason, it doesn't seem to be a straight line as a logo, which perfectly aligns on the top side of the rectangle, won't align on the bottom side of it..

I created a path to see if the rectangle Is straight but it is. I really hope someone understands my problem, it is kinda hard for me to explain it as I am new to this program.

I am willing to go in a call or something and share my screen if further explanation is needed (via Discord / TeamViewer)

Thank you very much in advance! 

Best regards

Rene

Pictures: 

https://gyazo.com/efc6822406befcf043a3ebfbc26ed655 complete pattern

https://gyazo.com/b55c21230fa09667bd09c75914b39416 Logo fits

https://gyazo.com/a815437b41e80b3c5c07c4462fc6e386 Copied and pasted logo does not fit perfectly anymore (if you look closely, above and below the "B") 

Welcome to the forums.
How are you using the pattern? In other words, what are you doing with it?
Can we see more of your document than just some small areas?
P.S. Your pattern, as I downloaded it, seems to have a small ‘border’ which won’t make it easy to tile.

10 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Welcome to the forums.
How are you using the pattern? In other words, what are you doing with it?
Can we see more of your document than just some small areas?
P.S. Your pattern, as I downloaded it, seems to have a small ‘border’ which won’t make it easy to tile.

Hey Garry, 

thank you for your answer. I made the rectangle a symbol and copied it as often as needed to fill my A5 page. Then when I change the rectangle the changes will automatically apply to my A5 page, too. 

I think I can't really figure what you mean by border.. 

I am still at work unfortunately, otherwise I could share you my screen.. 

Best regards

Rene :)

Ah, you didn’t mention Symbols in your original post.
I’ve attached a screen grab showing what I mean by the ‘border’.
Since I don’t know what you are trying to do it’s difficult for me to say if you are doing anything wrong.
When you get the time, can you describe exactly what you want to do by using the pattern?

Annotation 2020-06-24 094828.png

10 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Ah, you didn’t mention Symbols in your original post.
I’ve attached a screen grab showing what I mean by the ‘border’.
Since I don’t know what you are trying to do it’s difficult for me to say if you are doing anything wrong.
When you get the time, can you describe exactly what you want to do by using the pattern?

Annotation 2020-06-24 094828.png

Hey, 

thank you for your swift reply. 

The border is just the background of Designer. You might have mistaken it for a border because I cut it out like that.. My bad!

What I am exactly trying to do: My grandparents have a company for interior design (carpets, curtains, flooring, everything you need) and I used to be fit in graphic design but haven't done anything lately. Now I want to make a flyer for them in A5 size. On the back page of said flyer I want to put their logo as kind of a watermark over the whole page, so that it's there but not too present. 

I hope this helps you understand what I am trying to do.

So I have the complete logo arranged to my Rectangle (Symbol) and draw another shape over the extending bit of the logo to "cut it out" so it would perfectly fit. On the top side of the rectangle it fits perfectly, but not for the bottom side of it. It seems as if the rectangle is angular, but it actually isn't and I am kind of losing my mind over this because I don't know how to solve it. 

Ps: I know I have to rearrange the logo a bit to make it look good. But I didn't want to put work into that until I solve my problem. 

I work until around 2 pm. - 3 pm.

Here in Germany it's 11:10 am. currently. If you have the time and the nerves, maybe we can talk later? 

Best regards and thank you so much already! 

I’ve created a simple document (see image and attached file) which shows one way to do what I think you want to do.
In the “Background Tile” artboard I created a simple shape – a compound of a triangle and a star – and made it a Symbol.
Then I made duplicates of the symbol and positioned them according to what looked reasonable.
Then I exported the “Background Tile” artboard as a PNG.
Then I created a rectangle in the “Flyer” artboard (layer called “Logos”) and used the Fill Tool (Type = Bitmap) to use the exported PNG as a fill tile (slightly rotated for a bit of ‘interest’).
Then I set the “Logos” layer to a low Opacity.
It’s not exactly what you want but it shows some techniques you might find useful.

I’m afraid I don’t do one-on-one sessions, for various reasons, and I’m only on the website sporadically, but most of the other regular forum members should be able to help when I’m not online.

Annotation 2020-06-24 124815.png

background-logos.afdesign

Hey Garry, 

unfortunately I did not find the time yesterday to continue my work. It took me some time to completely understand what you did (as I am new to this and use the program in German) but damn, thank you SO much for this. It worked out perfectly fine just as I wanted it to be. 

Thank you very much!!

Best wishes

On 6/24/2020 at 1:53 PM, GarryP said:

’m afraid I don’t do one-on-one sessions, for various reasons, and I’m only on the website sporadically, but most of the other regular forum members should be able to help when I’m not online

Allmost 4000 posts in 3 years, sporadically ? 😁😁😁

intel core i5,  16GB 128Gb ssd win10 Pro Huion new 1060plus.

philips 272p 2560x1440px on intel HD2500 onboard graphics

Razer Tartarus Chroma

Most of those almost-4000 posts will probably be either “You’re welcome” (see above) or “Thanks” or something along the lines of “Oops, sorry, I got it wrong again, just ignore what I said earlier” so I might not be as productive as the number may suggest. (Just did a quick calculation and it’s around 3 posts a day on average. Not sure if that's not much or a lot, or neither.)

I was just kidding, and fwiw i think that you are one of the productive and helpfull members at the moment.

intel core i5,  16GB 128Gb ssd win10 Pro Huion new 1060plus.

philips 272p 2560x1440px on intel HD2500 onboard graphics

Razer Tartarus Chroma

I guessed you were kidding. If I used emojis it might help to get my point across better sometimes but I don’t know how to use them properly. I probably need to try and adjust my style of writing.

Thanks. I’ve had some great help in these forums so I do what I can to help others when I can.