You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I created text boxes at the bottom of my pages to hold page numbers. I want them to be centered on their respective pages.

But for a two-page spread, the alignment options only align them with respect to the double page spread.

I can transform the layers to give precise x/y coordinates, but that requires me doing the math for right and left pages - it seems like there should be an easier way to center them.

2020-06-23.png

1. Draw the text frame, then with it selected:
    image.png.54dd82fdade69245351522ef13287368.png

or
  2. Draw the text frame. Then, with Snapping on (and possibly the options to snap to spread mid-points and/or margin mid-points), use the Move Tool to drag the frame until you get the vertical green dynamic snapping guide:
    image.png.574659577e2420808fd52c09cb1320d8.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

The answer to that question probably depends on what you mean by “true centre”.
Your margins are not centred in the page so it sounds like you will be getting a green snapping line for both the centre of the page and the centre of the margin area. Only you can say which is your “true centre”.
If you don’t want to snap to the margins then use the Snapping pop-up and uncheck “Snap to Margins”, or, if you don’t want to snap to the page/spread then use the Snapping pop-up and uncheck “Snap to Spread”. (While you have both checked you can snap to both which is probably why you get two snapping lines.)