You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity CRASHING when scanning

I'm running OS Catalina, using an Epson V500 scanner:

When trying to scan in Affinity, any attempt to customize the scan --->. Acquire image/ image correction/manual........ boom, Affinity crashes.

Tried a numbest of times, constant crashing.

Thanks for any suggestions.   ------------ *(is this a 64 bit not liking 32-bit machines that I have read about?)

p.s. the scanner will scan an image into Affinity successfully IF (and only IF) you do not try to customize the scan.

So, the 32-bit Epson scanner CAN scan an image into Affinity..... why does it crash the moment I try to manually customize resolution, brightness & contrast, etc. ?

Same here (but different scanner). Use the Scanner-tool that MacOS offers: Spotlight search for "Scanner" finds "printer & scanner" or so.

Affinity uses the same tool but I could not find an explanation why it crashes...

I had hoped that Epson had an updated (64-bit) scanner driver for my older Epson (32 bit), but no...   
The TWAIN software in my Epson was great, and fully featured of course. Reckon they want you to buy a new scanner.    -   I've thus tried the resident scanning software in the Mac OS... "Image Capture".  
Very skeletal... I couldn't even find a way to scale (%) and image when scanning.  

All seems to go well in the interface when using the MANUAL adjustments..... until you hit that "SCAN" button.....!@&%$#! CRASH !!  
Ridiculous.  ----- Does Affinity have tech. support answering our questions?, I'm still awaiting a reply to this conundrum.

All the best

Support is through this forum. Support staff will probably pick it up, during office hours .... and recently they got a bit late on it, maybe because of many new users through the special offers.

In general, if Catalina is not complaining, your scanner SW works with Catalina. If it would be 32bit, it would not start at all.

So probably there is something between the scanning and Affinity that does not combine well.

If the scanner works in general, I would rather scan into a folder, and pick the scanned image from there for further use in Affinity. Maybe a bit more time consuming when used, but overall it will save you lifetime spend on troubleshooting.

Thanks Blende21 for the reply...

Scanning is so basic for graphic artists, I am SO surprised to (newcomer) immediately run into scanning issues with Affinity.  Seems they should  have scanner interfacing a HIGH priority in the early building of the software. ----

Your suggestion to just do generic scanning (without such things as scaling, res., target size, etc., etc.) and then use Affinity to alter/customize is just not a practical process for full image capturing parameters, especially for folks on deadlines, etc. ---  I'll keep waiting to hear what the Affinity Tech folks suggest (hopefully they have an update/fix).   If not, well... I guess the wind is out of the sail for me regarding an affinity for Affinity..... sigh, back to the long tried 'n true, and pricey, PS .  

I'd like to convert, maybe Serif will restore my faith.  -?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi @Picturemeister,

My sincerest apologies for the delayed response here, due to the ongoing pandemic we are all working remotely which has increased our response time. We're working hard to stay on top of things, so we thank you for your patience and understanding here.

The 'Acquire Image' option within Affinity is an Apple API that we call to access your scanner/scans, this isn't something we've changed or have created ourselves, so crashing behaviour may be due to the Apple utility and not Affinity.

Firstly, can you please try scanning the image using the instructions provided at the following link - https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/mac-help/mh28032/mac - using this method, does the utility freeze?

When using 'Image Capture' in Mac OS, did you experience any similar behaviour that you have within Affinity?

I'd like to request your crash reports from Affinity, please go to Applications > Utilities and open the Console app. Crash Reports from our apps can be found in the User Reports section. You can Right Click the required Crash Report and select Reveal in Finder, then attach the latest 3 to your reply here.

Many thanks in advance!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!